Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

John and helens journey

• Please log in to reply
168 replies to this topic

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the deep south west

well the weather is being nice to us…so lots going on..done my 1st bit of stock fencing…and hung the main front gate, the aggregate comes this coming week, so happy days..also have reached where the barn will be…but i want to finish the drive off 1st

DSCF1441_zpsh3ttzdra.jpg

DSCF1442_zps0n480mad.jpg

DSCF1451_zpscsjdutvm.jpg

DSCF1420_zps5xi9i8xa.jpg[/UR

and aiming for something like this

[URL=http://s228.photobucket.com/user/johningham/media/to%20be_zpsy0zhfrrr.jpg.html]to%20be_zpsy0zhfrrr.jpgL]

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

been teaching myself how to fit straining  wire today….

DSCF1458_zps03eiu40p.jpg

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

never ever done any type of fencing , or should i say stock fencing before, so read my little fencing book, watched loads of youtube vids and decided on what i could achieve, seeing as there where so many ways, as for the tying off, i used one of these

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3cf67ff59b

fantastic little tool

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

well its 1 year today, since we viewed our place, after a long purchase time, things are now going along nicely, the weather has been a massive hit and miss on certain projects, planning has been granted and now the orchard is spinning into life, 

this has been life changing, my only regret..i wish i had done this years ago

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

each day has us doing many things, you get to a stage and realise, a small change in plans could help in the future, 

this week has seen a few chicken houses knocked up, and some more fencing and digging out done, 

DSCF1515_zpso9yde0rc.jpg[/

we opted for smaller chicken houses , this will mean we can move them often to new grass

each house will home 10 layers

[URL=http://s228.photobucket.com/user/johningham/media/DSCF1506_zpsku56imor.jpg.html]DSCF1506_zpsku56imor.jpgURL]

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

well its been a busy time in more ways than one, still haven't finished the driveway, but thats not a major problem at this stage, it does mean though, the static will have to wait a few weeks, so we took our tourer down, this has made hell of a difference, so nice to be able to have a sit down meal and a pee in comfort lol

DSCF1481_zpsadbacm2r.jpg

then that night, we found someone in the our town selling an awning for 100 pounds…result..its even the right size

DSCF1542_zpsobgaja7w.jpg

the fruit trees in the orchard have started to leaf up and blossom which is a great site…all trees seem to be doing really well,

DSCF1550_zpsk8edzijf.jpg

the pig pen is now finished, just got to build the arc

DSCF1585_zpsbnubxfda.jpg

and we have cleared a spot for the static ….

DSCF1508_zpsahtujx4p.jpg

back on the goat paddock now plus still digging out the barn

DSCF1606_zpsbuhdkshw.jpg

DSCF1469_zpsaf6f8tpr.jpg

things are taking shape nicely, and the neighbours are superb and very helpful

topper

topper

Duckling

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

don't tell me that's a council drone taking photos of you ,lol

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

no..just the neighbours returning back ….or future customers  :nyam:

tonydockers

tonydockers

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

well done it looks to be progressing really well, keep up the great work and love seeing your pictures

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

So a quick update, this route isn't just about building a new life, its also closing a door on the old one, never good keep looking back, 

anyway slowly but surly things are progressing, 

we have the quad on site now, which is making life a lot easier..especially when getting those chestnut posts where they need to be,

DSCF1655_zps3ueha1kq.jpg

and when the rain comes, we work on the lower bits of land

DSCF1628_zpsjmfqvvzn.jpg

you can get knackered drilling and knocking in posts all day, so a bit of fencing comes as a nice change, we have now started on the goats paddock, these will be at the front of the farm, so potential customers can meet and greet the goats, nothing like getting personal , if it makes the customers happy,

DSCF1664_zpsu8rrxczo.jpg

plus we have planted a few chestnut trees around the place, 

DSCF1645_zps95yybdrp.jpg

we had a lovely couple pass by and said they can not wait to try our produce, then the old girl told me to pull my finger out lol

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

been a weird couple of weeks, lost a few chicks, by the symptoms, it looked like coccidiosis, only later to be confirmed by the poultry vet, after a quick dose of meds, they soon started to recover and are now doing well…having trouble finding a chicken wormer as flubenvet seems to be out of circulation at the moment, they say the last batches where made i December...

still bashing on with the fencing, managed to pick up some nice 5ft electric fencing poles and a 2000 mt spool of wire , i have the perfect place for that lot  :nyam:

Eve

Eve

Goose

• Book Owners
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hi, I love reading your diary and looking at your pics, hoping to be in your position soon! Just wanted to say I've just bought some flubenvet pellets from amazon. Xx

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Thanks Eve, i do prefer the liquid, but will look into the food, 

thank you

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

there is so much that happens on this  route, and one issue not covered in the book is going from one life to another, you know the one, going from a 3 bed semi with central heating and double glazing, to a cold bouncy wind affected caravan 

now we all now the aim, and that aim should be done in my honest opinion with a result that gives a true british farm,

at this moment in time, we are sorting the old life out….by gawd, don't we hoard some rubbish…hopefully this will turn into cash and buy stock, every penny will count...

i think the excitement has gone now and reality has set in….this is a fantastic chance to build a great, but hard lifestyle, you either want it or don't, Dreams don't show the bad parts….

what we have experienced so far is ….we really want this..its not a game. there will be no Range Rover, there will be no big farm house, but there will be plenty of pig shit and back breaking work,

there will be fencing that will give way to SAS type goats , sheep pigs all wanting to escape, there will be plants that die, the genny that won't start, especially on a cold wet night..but then you stop, take a deep breath and see what is around you…. the local robin who followed you around, the buzzards flying above watching every move you make, the scent from the hedge row, the colours from plants you never knew the names of…and simple but obvious things like…wow..that friggin grass grows quick… and why is it that all petrol engine things like grass cutters seem to get harder to start...

i have never felt so alive…the dream is becoming reality, and we are just at the beginning, i don't want to sound inspiring, its only you who knows how much you want something, 

off down tomorrow to bang in more bloody posts..but thats not a bad thing, no doubt Mr Robin will follow us around...

take in whats happening around you, take the time to see what the hedgerows are doing, look at the grass, it tells you so much, feel every post that gets knocked in…after all..you will need to know your business inside out , from grass to customer

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

well thats the phone connection and broadband sorted…. 

noxskuses

noxskuses

Duckling

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Looking good guys. Make sure you put a couple of strands of electric wire on the inside of your pig area or they will wreck your lovely fencing :)

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

yes, 3 strands are going all the way around, 

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

well its been a tough couple of weeks sorting things out..jeeze..i never realised how much crap we hoarded, getting there now though, looking forward to getting that barn up

tonydockers

tonydockers

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts
Dont put the lower strand too low because believe me the grass grows long by it and you end up earthing your system out.....i put ours i think at 12inches i reckon 18 would be ok on along the stock fence Nd tbf 2 strands will do it

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

well our journey really starts this weekend…maybe off line for a while, we have a dream, and now the dream will become reality, wish us luck, and i hope soon we will be able to keep the story going,

not everything is in place, but sometimes you need to grab the bull by the horns…we will look forward to catching up…you live but only once…live it , don't sit back and wished you had