Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

John and helens journey

• Please log in to reply
168 replies to this topic

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the deep south west

well the 28 day is going in tomorrow...

the plan for the 1st barn is done… 

THEBARNPLAN_zps99c9b584.jpg

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

with a bit of luck , it should look a bit like this 

THEBARNimage2_zps7a04e9ce.jpg

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

keeping fingers crossed…could be the proud..i mean optimistic owner of a beaten up MF40 backhoe digger …. watch this space  :prankster:

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

well..it looks like i won the little MF40..she will need a paint job and a good service, but for 2k delivered, i can live with that… now lets dream of that paint job….

MF40_zps83a1dfbd.jpg

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Another productive day, digger all paid for and delivery arranged, a couple of chicken houses bought, not to big, but big enough to move around, 

the new husqui chainsaw has arrived, that will see a few branches trimmed…. 

chookhouse_zpsb3e9dd41.jpg

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

well some serious spending has been going on…its amazing what you find is actually  a need more than a want..

red diesel…arranged for a supplier to bring 205 litre barrels to start with, this will feed the digger and genny until we sort power. ..but that will come in time, as long as the batteries can be charged..

100 christmas trees have arrived, so a bit of planting tomorrow…. in year two, we hope to be offering the christmas package, tree bird and veg...

getting excited now…some great ideas about the farm business are coming together...

my new husqui chainsaw has arrived, so a few branches can be cut, and the paint for the digger has also arrived , so ferggy will get a tidy up….. :fuck: GH….  and most important..H got a new kettle... :nyam:

well..one can't work without a coffee 

off to look at polytunnel and greenhouse

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

that was a nice day, all the trees and hedge plants are planted, the polytunnel is all marked out, as are the two ponds and greenhouse stand….

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

long way to go, but getting there…slow but sure, the orchard and xmas trees will soon be stocked fenced, as there will be paddocks a joining them,

we pegged out where the track will run,..it made it so much clearer

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

well after waiting for the NFU to quote me insurance, for the last 3 months, today i have a visit from Cornwall mutual, ….lets see how this goes, 

also been told the digger should be here this week….

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

quick catch up, Cornwall mutual came out, gave me a cracking price for insurance, great guy, all sorted. 

today has been another mind blower, the digger arrived, the neighbours helped out and within 20 minutes a couple of massey ferguson restorers, gave me a cracking price to service the old girl and they came recommended from the Air type neighbour….the lads actually where working next door with a beautiful MF35X…not in a million years could we have wished for a better acceptance from these lovely people...

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

had a call from the planning department, don't want to put the mockers on things , but its sounding good, i have had to put in another 28day for the track, as they said that was a different form..and yes, she was right…and she did agree, that the track made sense… 

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

lovely day today..weather is rubbish, but the wood for the goat shed has arrived,..so all cut up into sections, stained up..a duck house has been built and stained up

then received a call from planning…everything is is order, should hear from the LPO soon

noxskuses

noxskuses

Duckling

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Really nice to read someone on this forum who has positive news & decent neighbours for a change. It all looks & sounds great. Did you end up buying land in Wales or did you find something affordable in Devon? Pete

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

well i have been busy cutting and staining the wood for the goat house, the duck house is now complete

goatshedplantoday_zps61cdd239.jpg

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

just knocking a nice sign post up now…should look nice from the entrance 

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

questions questions questions……..now wondering if i have missed anything…. lets just wait and see, 

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

BANG..round one has given me a refusal….so…tried to withdraw application…been told not possible…oh yes it is….so not going to mess around, i don't speak their language…meeting with a agriculture consultant on thursday,

this is a tough but legal route, we all need to be realistic to make it work…this slap in the face,has done me good to be honest,  and a chat with a couple of really great people has got me fired up , its also made me realise , there are experts for a reason...

this little farm of mine and H, will end up being a frickin good business, the one we dreamed of………J is now fired up….

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

If you are taking this route, take down some tips…..

Rule 1…do not let your heart rule your head…this will be hard to do, but take note

Rule 2…get things in order…open bank account, keep receipts and make sure they are made out to the new business….this will prove that the business is established..THIS IS A MAJOR POINT

Rule 3…do not rely on what the planning office tell you, for some reason, the actual planning officer has a different book than the planning team, especially when it comes to roads...

Rule 4…when you get your 1st refusal, it feels like a hot knife cutting through butter..make sure you have some plasters to close the wound and a bottle of red…the red will help

Rule 5…next morning, give yourself a good slap…you have just entered the world of F2F now its time to stop dreaming and go for the dream, 

Rule 6…go back to refusal and digest….here certain things will jump out at you….

Rule 7…now its time to fight back, if like me, you are not confident about the jargon….seek advice…it may cost a little extra, but how much do you put on your dream 

Rule 8… now that things are back on track….go and visit some of the livestock you have already bought and realise, no matter what, this farm business is what you want more than anything

Attached Files

• Attached File  kids.jpg   105.41KB   0 downloads

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

now we have decided to get a consultant involved, we have had to write a business plan, if i am honest, i think they are the biggest load of crap ever thought of…they are just predictions, nothing more, just a thing that keeps a knob in a suit happy…H and me have just spent 4 hours writing the biggest lot of bullsh't ever written….who the f'''' knows what the future will bring..anyway..we have done it

sorry for being blunt..well actually i;m not..just being honest

lets see what tomorrow brings

jsprince

jsprince

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Hi J&H

Business plans I think have there place but when its writing one to suit a council official who only wants to pick holes its not easy.  

If you can try to put some innocuous sentence in that should you need to in the future do things a different way the council cant turn round and say "its not in the plan you gave us."