Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

John and helens journey

• Please log in to reply
168 replies to this topic

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the deep south west

A few years ago, we took a break and went off on holiday, I had always told helen how much i loved the french countryside, 

anyway, to cut a long story short, we bought a farm that week… well!!! it looked nice :)

the neighbours where great and really welcomed us 

sadly mum was showing signs of dementia, this got worse over the years, so we sold our french place to look after mum

mum is now in a home…. so we have started to look again, but in UK

we had a few trips to wales, and nearly bought a 5 acres with a barn…but would of ended up with the neighbour from hell...

after buying the book, this gave us a fresh outlook…a new avenue ….

we have now found the place we really like…. our offer has been accepted…. now the fun starts :) 

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

completion being brought forward, seller wanted to delay a bit to let electric run through the land…. she no longer wants to wait…great news...

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

ok..another spanner in the works, the farmer wants to claim his RPS  before we sign …this will mean we can't do any building, or put in a track…. until september 

the thing is…the land is a good price, there is a potential 100 person customer base on the doorstep….and the location is good…. 

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

things seems to be going through nicely at the moment, all the little niggles have been sorted, 

so just buying a few things that will be needed …the honda 420 quad has been purchased, and i have a small project on a livestock trailer ..did i say small  :prankster:

agh well…this will keep me busy for a few weeks…it only cost a few hundred…and by the time its all done up, still under 1k

DSCF0732_zpsea0130f4.jpg

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

purchased another little trailer to run behind the quad, the business cards , letterheads, and signage has arrived, 

the livestock trailer is coming on nicely……...

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

pre contract  forms have arrived for inspection and signing, everything looks in order….close to exchanging contracts and completion now, received some information that has been a great help from the ,what will be , new neighbours… fingers crossed it will be soon

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

well great news, contracts have been exchanged, completion will be on the 30th…..

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

sorting out insurance and CPH number….

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Completion today, …….communications broke down… they wanted to charge me interest, ….but have waved the fee as it was the solicitors fault….always good to keep evidence of conversations..

anyway…no bad feelings. just another hurdle jumped….

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

with a little bit of luck, found a tiny quarry selling aggregate at a super low price, ….perfect for a base layer

and totally local rock….. 

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Good day yesterday, CPH number has arrived . just the flock and herd numbers now, got the place insured , 

opened a cash account with local farm supplier, found a 1000 lt IBC container that had been used for food products, for 50 pounds 

managed to buy a 6'5 KVA diesel genny , never been used, until yesterday..150 pounds ,,bargain…. 

bought a nice touring caravan, that should come in handy for tea breaks and the odd meal, whilst putting up the stock fencing, 

ordered, the 30 trees for the cider orchard,  :nyam: we have 4 milking goats being kept on a friends farm, so looking forward to getting them on site with in the next 8 weeks 

happy days

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

its been a 2.and a 1/2  years journey, we started off looking local in Devon, but everything was at a stupid price, we wanted a barn with PP and a few acres, so our viewings took us to mid and south wales….anyway, that was explained in the 1st posting,

i found this piece of land, just under 20 acres…the price was perfect, so i took a trip….bloody hell..one bit was steep, forget the word gently…but…there where sheep on it, grazing away happily,

so i went around the fields..they where sloping, yet i walked them with ease…there was enough area's of flatness, and this place would take a little planning on what could go where, 

the day i went had plenty of sun beating down, this showed me all the possible areas for planting, I spent a good few hours looking, prodding and listening… i heard water, and found a nice little stream running down the side…it had a good flow, and looked wonderful

that evening, i let H know and the following day we took the trip again….her 1st words where…wow..look how steep that hill is, …her look was of..NOT impressed…she then noticed the sheep, we then walked around the site…H looked up and said…the orchard would go here…that would be great for pigs down there….as we walked around, she stopped…she said, this is doable isn't it…and its beautiful

so we went home, viewed the photos we took….searched a few things, and took another trip down the following day  :laugh: when we arrived, we both looked at each other and said..this is the place ..isn't it 

we put the 1st cheeky offer in, that was refused, so we raised it saying that would be our final offer… 2 hours later it was excepted...

so..our little farm is just starting…. 

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

that was a good trip down, met the neighbour, seemed like a great guy, loves his fishing and shooting, 

had a couple of roe deer run through….may need to think about deer fencing in some areas…..don't want the orchard munched before it grows

also , we seem to have a Goshawk in the woods, i think the chicks will need netting over the runs

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

just getting all the quotes in for the fencing, gates and posts, plus the goat house, pig arc and chicken coops .over 1K difference between the 1st 3 companies...

great price on an cider apple orchard…. along with many other fruit trees and soft fruit plants ….

have arranged a display of the BCS and its implements …...

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

1st shipping container arrives tomorrow, managed to find 3 good sleepers to rest it on...

company have said they will move it again when the track is done ,whilst they deliver the 2nd container, ….going to leave a 10ft gap in-between them to create a hay store with a few bearers and a tarp, and use , used pallets to keep the hay off the ground,

the orchard will be ready to collect at the end of the month…this will give me time to prepare for planting and fencing

met the other neighbours, so far..all lovely people , fingers crossed that stays as it is …..

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Container arrived bang on time, what a difference that will make, plus got to meet a neighbouring farmer who has his own quarry …. and will beat any quoted price lol

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

can get the ground prepped now for the cider apple orchard, the trees will be ready in two weeks, 

and the BCS 740 has been picked up and is ready to go  :nyam:

Attached Files

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

What a fantastic piece of kit this is turning out to be, today should see, the orchard totally prepared for the trees

had a lovely surprise yesterday, when we had a F2F couple, come visit….

the container has made the world of difference… 

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

the planting is well under way, 39 fruit trees going in, of which 30 are cider apples, 

suppose we better start thinking about christmas on tuesday  :prankster:

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

well thats the orchard done…all planted and fenced off with a temporary fence, until after christmas,

then we will start stock fencing