Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

John and helens journey

• Please log in to reply
168 replies to this topic

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the deep south west

been a busy week, purchased all the wood for the barn, the telegraph poles and metal box section is being purchased next week, 

also started to tidy up the bottom field, clearing brambles and chopping a few trees, only to discover a lovely 4-5ft flat pathway, this will be fantastic, as this means i can stock fence the top and bottom and then strip graze using electric …..the BCS is simply awesome, one of my best investments..thanks GH

DSCF2275_zpsbenlzhzd.jpg

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

So…everyone knows how much we are loving this, and yesterday got even better

there has only been one thing we really miss, and thats been a nice hot soak in a bath

as the post above shows, we have been clearing a path in the bottom field, this is the other end of the land, as we reached the end, we found this old bath, it looks like it has been used as a water trough

after close inspection…this looked doable, so we hitched it to the quad, H grabbed the other end , and we started to make our way back…it took 1 and a half hours to clean out and disaffect….gawd was it worth it….OH YESSSSSS

DSCF2280_zpsfenlfuhy.jpg

[url=http://s228.photobuc...fxedq.jpg.html]DSCF2310_zpsxoyfxedq.jpg[/URL

[url=http://s228.photobuc...jhpsj.jpg.html]DSCF2314_zps92bjhpsj.jpg[/U

RL]]

so i filled the holes in with some plastic and sealant, ……then filled her up with lush warm water…OMG…happy as a pig in sh….mud

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

where does time go….. :prankster:

so much has been happening yet the weeks seem to fly by

anyway, the wood for the barn has been delivered, and safely put away ….it just had to rain then rain even harder as we did this…the bit of land we levelled has turned into a quagmire, nothing that can't be fixed..once dry 

all the animals are doing fine and growing well…loving this part of the journey, hard, but rewarding, getting plenty of help from the neighbours , which is nice

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

just about to get our 1st poly tunnel, i do like the look and feedback of the haygrove range….think we will run with this, 

one of the goats have started to come into season, this will repeat in 21 days, so she is booked in to visit the billy, this will also kick start the rest..i think December /january will be a busy couple of months…then we have one girl ready to drop on feb 3rd…. we should have a very healthy milk production going on by july….and fingers crossed, we will have double the flock, unless they are male, then its a case of rear for meat... 

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

well the hot bath saga has jumped up a league today…we took delivery of an 40lt urn, water heater…woo hoooo works perfect…enough for a good bath and makes no difference to the diesel used in the genny…..rather pleased with that result..and smelling nice too..anyone want a kiss  :nyam:

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

well all the steel has been ordered for the barn…..looking forward to get busy on that one

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Well the lorry turned up yesterday, full of sheet metal cladding, 1.5 tonnes…H  and me where ready for a long hand ball job of off loading , when all of a sudden the neighbour drives past, see's what we are about too do, turns around goes home and returns with his forklift…what a star that man is…then gives me a bollocking last night when we take a bottle of red around for him….no need for that john, he says...

any help you need, just shout 

when i read how some neighbours treat people, we know how very lucky we are to have such great neighbours

all is going well, its been a bit of a struggle with all this rain, but no flooding..just lots of mud….

very exciting times ..loving every minute

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

with all this rain, the goat house roof sprung a leak….so off with the Ondulate roofing and a new steel roof put on and it now covers the balcony…bone dry this morning after a very heavy down pour last night AND SOME VERY HIGH WINDS

DSCF2511_zpsvle8uvqp.jpg

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

at last a dryish  day….still had the odd shower, but at least i got the kidding shed started…we have a goat due to kid on feb the 3rd…should be easy now the roof is on..means i can work away when its lashing down 

DSCF2543_zpsdlttfucu.jpg

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Well, had our 1st visit today from the council, he told the good lady wife they had received a complaint about the caravans being on site, one static and a touring caravan, 

plus the genny runs 24 / 7

the good lady explained we where staying their not living, as we are building the barn we have permission for, and the genny gets turned of by 10pm and starts at 7.30 am, and pointed out its normally  off during the day, 

she also pointed the smaller caravan was being used for storage…...

he did ask if we had another address, when told yes, and what town, he said he didn't need to know, due to distance

he was more than happy with what he heard and saw 

the good lady also said the  caravans will be moved once the construction was complete

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

bit more done today..great to have dry weather 

DSCF2573_zpslloxx6zd.jpg

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

almost ready..just a bits and bobs to finish off

DSCF2575_zpsznmdtppf.jpg

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

all done, our 1st girl is due next week, ...

DSCF2640_zpsayeuz6hr.jpg

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
Looking good , did you change the front for light ?

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

light and ventilation …it does have a 100wt led light inside, the screen also lets air flow, whilst keeping out strong winds, 

agh!!!!  the screen is a sliding door

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

DSCF2643_zpslvm0djai.jpg

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
:-) now I c ,lucky goat hope it goes well
It may stop raining in June with luck

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

she is now in and settled, we have stuck another girl in for company, who will be removed once skye starts to give birth,….all good at the moment

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

still waiting….nothing to panic about, she is a 1st timer, so being overdue is the norm…also bought another two poll dorset ewes…which i will pick up once the kids are born….happy days