Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

BT

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
So they are to pay the first £3400 of any new line
Does that apply to a mobile home ? It seems that way although the surveyor couldn't complete his quest as his notes said to a dwelling

adrian007

adrian007

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts
We got one, cost BT about 6000

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
Poles cost BT£50 and cable £3 /m I suspect it cost them £500 they will soon get their money back :-) dam corporations
We have phones and wireless internet so it's just a game which I will win by following their rules

adrian007

adrian007

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

The actual connection probably cost them 50 mters of cable, upgrading the cable for the whole lane was the biggy! Not our fault that!

adrian007

adrian007

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Incidentally - when you sign up to BT at home they explain it is a 12 month contract.

I'll start again, sign up using 'live chat'.

Tell them you don't like the 12 month contract as you are likely to move within 12 months.

They reply 'That's OK, you can take the connection with you.'

You reply 'Yeah, but what if the place I move to isn't connected to BT?

They reply 'We'll connect you for free'

... then print out the live chat conversation... just in case. we didn't need it, nor did we end up getting the static connected within 12 months. But, there's no harm in having the back up.

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
Good idea , what did you get connected ? The static or a box on a pole

KChally

KChally

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

So, can i just get this right. We dont have a landline, so BT have to give us one and they pay the first £3400 for the installation? There are no telephone poles down our lane.

We run everything off a mi-fi.

We do pay council tax, but are still in our mobile home.

Thanks

KChally

Keep on Farming!!! 

KChally

KChally

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Oh Yeah, I checked to see if our postcode was in the right area for a £3k grant, but we're not. It seems you have to live in a big town or city to qualify.

Thanks

adrian007

adrian007

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Got the static connected... and because we don't (yet) have mains electric, we have one of those old fashions dial phones from the 1980's :-)

+ BT Broadband when the genny is working, or 3 broadband when the dongle has a charge.

(mains electric - update - been haggling over trees - as their cable goes over our orchard and they preclude trees within a certain distance on the new agreement. Shouldn't be an issue, but if they ever need to access the wire, they can trample my trees without giving me compo so that needed sorting. I believe it is sorted as of today!)

Greenbeast

Greenbeast

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

I thought it was that BT could only charge £100 for a new connection? Has that changed?

dilangar

dilangar

Goose

• Book Owners
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationWest sussex
So we built a barn last year for a client that wished to have an office within. BT came told me we could have armoured cable or ducting,more of a faff! Went with armoured (5 lines if you wished) said we would trench in leave the tail ends to you. Great, will drop the cable drum off and we won't charge :) client was happy I was cause we're like that. So I don't get where the charges are coming in?

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
When BT were privatised they agreed to pay the first £3400 of a new connection

tottenham

tottenham

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Locationvery south of watford

£130 for a new connection doesn't allow for new carriers that figure is just to connect you to a carrier in the road outside your house/barn/shed/caravan/tent.

Now the  reduction  they give you as in there charter, is for permanent residential building not a temp caravan. Also you apply to BT for a new connection but their sister co openreach  do the surveying and installation.

The trick here is to apply on line (must have registered address with post code) they will give you a installation date by email more or less soon as you have completed the online procedure. Now they think they are just going to send an engineer to connect you not realising you need some carriers installed to get the cable to your land. Once someone at openreach looks at the job and realises that they will reschedule the job and you will receive an email with a new date. They won't do it on that date either but thats good because when you applied on line they automatically send you out a router which costs i think around £6 and with the £130 install charge you will start to get billed £136 a month from BT but open reach haven't installed your line.

Don't pay (obversely) and when you start getting threats of court action take all the demands, application form and any other  paper work you may have  to BT head office in London (loverly building by the bank). Now what will happen there and then, is it will be escalated to the chairmans office and you my friend will be allocated a person from that office (its in sunderland) to completely over see your connection we had a lady called Kathy i had her direct phone number and she kept us updated all the time (she rang us!!!)

BT  do not ask is the line being connected to a house, The surveyor  openreach used for us was freelance and he knew the chairmans office was involved and could not have been more helpful. we had 7 carriers installed with a road closure for 2 days. Iam not saying you will get connected for £136 but you won't be pushed from pillar to post trying, hanging on the line or talking to someone in India. get to the chairmans office  

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
We applied via phone for a new connection

adrian007

adrian007

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

hmm -  don't know if you've said this or them... but:

The address is definitely fixed.

And the council tax proves it is residential.

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the deep south west

just had to pay 500 quid for 60 mts of cable…agh well..its in and i'm back on line ….

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
Bt ordered to dwelling
OpenReach surveyor said wrong order as its a mobile home
Did you get business line or residential ?

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
That answers the question of where you disappeared too j

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

been busy moving down  :bye: now starting building things  :nyam:  

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

open reach fitted mine to the shed 1st, leaving enough cable to fit to the static when we sited the thing..worked out perfect