Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Pre-planning consent.

Forward planning Planning Planning Consent Consent

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Cornish Gems

Cornish Gems

Lord and Lady of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts
  • LocationCornwall (formerly Devon)

- John - we gave that some thought, moving them is a fair point, but the costs didn't stack up. This one has doors and pop holes at each end, it will stand between two chicken enclosures that we can alternate just by changing which end is used :-)

Uh-Oh! And how long do you think you will be able to do that before the Council decide you do not have planning permission for a non-mobile structure?

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
You would really have to wind them up for them to try and enforce on a chicken house surely

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the deep south west

i wouldn't have thought it had to move, just be movable , mine will move, simply to get them on fresh grass, 

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
Onduline just doesn't last like tin or fibre cement it can't hold shape and rots
The same reason you no longer put felt on a roof so it drapes in to the gutter as it rots back and let's water down the cavity wall
They used to put it on stables but even with osb under it gives out so top manufactures now no longer use it
I built mine with tin and void ventilation and wrapped the whole frame with tyvec before cladding in tg&v
With ply inside , no popholes just a stay on the door

pigsmitefly

pigsmitefly

Goose

• Book Owners
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

im a builder and roofer by trade,  if you use osb board and cover it in 1 layer of grp it will last 25 years, you can preasure wash it or steam clan it, if you go to any roofing supply company you can get the materials, you can also pick a colour of your choice,

ral and bs colours,

ps if anyone on here ever needs any advice on building or roofing projects please feel free to ask me, 

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
How does GRP cope with being on a timber frame built by a handy man being towed across a rough field !!

tottenham

tottenham

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Locationvery south of watford

shepie

the same as a speedboat copes but with a lot less stress!!

pigsmitefly

pigsmitefly

Goose

• Book Owners
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

as tottenem said shepi,,   if you take your time and get all the air bubbles out its very tough,, will last for many years, a mate of mine built 30 beach huts out of it here in brighton, they are right next to the sea and take a real pounding in the winter, they still look new and have been there over 5 years,

adrian007

adrian007

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

awesome knowledge here!

@ CG 

The hen house is on skids, so definately mobile.

We have two 25 x 10m hen areas, joined down the long side. There will be an 8ft gap in the dividing fence, where this hen house will live. It will either be 100% inside one of the areas, or the other, with one end wall blocking the gap in the fence.

We'll move it like this to stop the gound underneath being too much like a wildlife shelter.

@PMF - Whats GRP?

@J & H - where did you get the goat shelter?

@ Shepie - yep, we know it was a tad dear. It wasn't on the list until we counted out the ones ahead of it based on height of the roof - 5ft wtf!, roofing felt (red mite hazard) and some were all appearance over design! In the end all the options cost about £1k so we chose the one that ticked most boxes. We'll still need to change the roosting bars.

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
Good point hadn't thought of that , first saw it in Scotland ten years ago it a great flat roofing system with 25 year gaurente
Glass reinforced plastic
I have only been a builder and roofer for 20 years that makes you older than me then :-)

Thre is a 3" gap so I can dust down the gap for red mite not had too much problem with it here we are high up and windy with dry soil good for dust bathing chucks

pigsmitefly

pigsmitefly

Goose

• Book Owners
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

yes shepie i probly am, im 54, and been a builder for 38 years,  and dont my back just know it,

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the deep south west

Adrian, I designed it then bought the timber from build base, i seem to get a very good price off of them

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Forward planning, Planning, Planning Consent, Consent