Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Kennels? Office space?

kennels office shop dog

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

apilcher

apilcher

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hi,

I am new to this, and find it very interesting, so am trying to figure out how viable it is.

I understand that I must have agricultural animals on the land to meet the criteria, but as a sideline can I have some dog kennels? If so can these be in the barn?? I think this is a useful regular income.

Is there any scope for renting out an office to a local business? My guess is no, but just wanted some views.

It mentions having washroom facilities in the barn. Can a small shop be built into the barn?

Thanks for your help

Alan

tim'rous beastie

tim'rous beastie

Calf

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationSomerset

Hi Alan, welcome :)

Im not much use for legality and technical stuff but i think Working Collies are agricultural, if you were keeping them to train as sheepdogs so i'd hope some kennels would be ok, but i don't think boarding or ordinary dog breeding would be acceptable.  it would be nice to think terriers were ok too as hunting and ratting dogs.  I'd not like a neighbour with kennels tho as the noise travels so far and is very annoying  I'm not anti dog I just can't stand incessant barking, and if you plan on building a house to live on your land you don't want to annoy the neighbours with barking dogs!!

I don't know anything about the laws for renting out space in your barn or putting in a washroom but i think i read that you could put the facilities for a caravan site in the end of the barn?  And once you have built your barn if someone wants to rent a bit of it my only concern would be will it leave you with a hefty rates bill, same might apply to a shop.

Hopefully someone with real knowledge not just opinions and thoughts will come along and give you proper answers soon.

What part of the country are you in?

TB

apilcher

apilcher

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Thanks for the welcome, and posting your thoughts TB...and I take your point about noisy kennels!

I am in North Yorkshire ad Co Durham

The washroom, was meant as a Ladies and Gents for a caravan site. The shop would be for local produce and to service the caravan site. I like chickens and will have some, so will also stock chicken feed and other sundries.

It would be helpful to get a definitive answer on the office rent and shop, especially if there are likely to be additional rate bills.

Thanks for your input TB

Much appreciated

Alan

gods

gods

Chick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationEast Anglia

Hi Alan

Why not think about doggy day care If you're near a town could be lucrative I know of a chap who lives outside M25 drives van to Chelsea & Kensington collects dogs takes them to 'the country' for the day. makes a load by the look of his Range Rover! No barking at night as no dogs Question to F2F members does dog training with some sheep work fall under the remit of agricultural Does it have to be just Border collies  or can any dog or any breed that is being taught to herd sheep be therefore 'agricultural' is there some planning dictat saying how 'good;

; at herding sheep a sheepdog has to be ??

Just thinking

tim'rous beastie

tim'rous beastie

Calf

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationSomerset

HI,

Doggy daycare is/was operating round my area but recently, last couple of months or so, i've not seen their vehicle around so wonder if it may have closed down. If you are in a middle class or affluent area it could work but you'd be away from home a lot picking up and dropping off dogs at either end of the day and you'd have a tremendous amount of dog muck to pick up every day from your exercise area.

Lots of breeds will work stock, Border collie/working sheepdog, Kelpies, huntaways, corgis, beardies, and plenty more will still have some herding instinct in them.  We had a Groenendael (belgian shepherd)when i was young, it disappeared one day and turned up in the afternoon driving five sheep up the road.  it came from a line of show dogs and none of its familywould have seen sheep for generations but the instinct was still there,  so it needn't be just collies for agricultural work, though i imagine the councils would disagree. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kennels, office, shop, dog