Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Willow for fuel.

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

tim'rous beastie

tim'rous beastie

Calf

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationSomerset

Hi Fiveoaks, interesting post thank you, may I ask, how far apart do you plant your willow?  Thanks, TB

Cornish Gems

Cornish Gems

Lord and Lady of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts
  • LocationCornwall (formerly Devon)

5O - what variety are you using?

TB - we hope you have been properly tested!  :haha:

tim'rous beastie

tim'rous beastie

Calf

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationSomerset

You would not believe what I have been tested for CG, some I have passed and some I have failed but sometimes a negative result has been a positive for me!  :prankster:

Cornish Gems

Cornish Gems

Lord and Lady of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts
  • LocationCornwall (formerly Devon)

Aw Shucks!  We apologise - we were trying to be humerous but the joke definitely fell flat, but we are pleased to learn that you feel a negative result has been positive for you sometimes.

fiveoaks

fiveoaks

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Hi Fiveoaks, interesting post thank you, may I ask, how far apart do you plant your willow?  Thanks, TB

Each of my rows is 100 meters long and the trees are every meter. I have a stick that I use for measuring when I'm planting

The gap between my rows is just a little bigger than my van so when harvest time comes I can get down the rows

I also have a speacial tool for putting the hole in the floor, it's sort of a garden fork but with only one spike

I'll have to see if I have some pictures and post them up

fiveoaks

fiveoaks

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

is there any chance you could post some pictures.

02122011426.jpg

03122011432.jpg

These are from last year, bit boring due to the lack of green

I'm just about to put 3 more rows in
Ive just planted 45 fruit trees next to my other 40 fruit trees

tim'rous beastie

tim'rous beastie

Calf

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationSomerset

"I also have a speacial tool for putting the hole in the floor, it's sort of a garden fork but with only one spike"

Would that just be a spike then lol? Are the tree guards essential, i remember seeing willow being grown near lockerbie and it was just a stick in the ground. They were for biofuel on a big scale and were planted much closer than this as i recall, then cut savagely after their first years growth.

Pics look very neat, all credit to you, I think I will give this a go all being well but doubt my rows will be as neat as yours!

Thank you for taking time to reply :)

Rasher

Rasher

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Perfect. Are you planing on cutting them back in the first year and then leaving it another 3 to 4 before the next cut? Have you applied for any grants to do this?

fiveoaks

fiveoaks

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Perfect. Are you planing on cutting them back in the first year and then leaving it another 3 to 4 before the next cut? Have you applied for any grants to do this?

If you look closley at the trees on the left, these are trees that I planted 2 years ago and then cut last year

After you have cut the one branch you start with 5 or 6 shoot out and grow like crazy

I will have to take some pictures in the summer for you

Also on the spacing.....

As I believe you can plant the rows much closer together but this would be for woodchip and I'm wanting logs.  I also want really easy access to make for the easyiest access

I want to sit in front of my log fire, not fighting to get the logs out of the field :-)