Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Willow for fuel.

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Rasher

Rasher

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
Hi.
Are any of you growing willow for firewood. We use a logburner to heat our home and we're looking into planting willow for fuel. The places we've looked at getting it from say we need to plant so many trees each year for 4 years and then we will have a continuous supply.
I just wondered if anyone had done it and what the results are like.
Thanks.

Cornish Gems

Cornish Gems

Lord and Lady of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts
  • LocationCornwall (formerly Devon)
We haven't done it per se as we are only into our second year of planting, but we read up about it and it seemed to tick a lot of boxes. Willows like water (and we have lots of it) and they can make a bit of a windbreak which we thought would be good for the raspberry bushes. Plus of course we thought the idea of a woodburner was one of the best ways of providing heating. Now we discover that there are various useful pieces of equipment one can make with willow. Indeed, the only negative thing we learnt about them was that their propensity for searching for water could mean that they would break into a water pipe/drain.

Rasher

Rasher

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
Great to know others are trying it. I'm pretty sure we'll go ahead with it. could you tell me what time of year you planted yours and what was involved. Thanks.

Cornish Gems

Cornish Gems

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts
We literally pushed the spade into the ground, slipped the slip in behind it, pulled out spade and heeled the soil back.

The first lot we did at this time of the year having bought them on eBay, then we did a second lot in the next spring and finally a third lot when we had that heatwave earlier on this year!

Having done some reading up on the subject, we actually bought some last autumn (again from eBay) and put the slips into black flower buckets filled with sand. Then kept the sand moist over winter and those were the ones we planted out during the heatwave. We were really impressed with the root systems and they are doing extremely well and looking a lot healthier than the second lot we planted.

Rasher

Rasher

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
Sounds like your well on your way, I've emailed 2 of the people selling them on ebay asking for more details about when is best to plant them but neither of them have replied yet so your info has been really helpful.

roger

roger

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
Hi can you not cut your own slips willow is very easy to propagate when helping a friend some years ago we cut a willow hedge back & pushed the trimmings into the ground 6 months later new hedge or have I missed something

Roger

Cornish Gems

Cornish Gems

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts
Yes you can depending on the species, we cut some for our first lot after 1yr and they have taken nicely.

We cut one length from each willow and then cut it in to 1ft lengths we then planted them in sand in flower pots as described previously.

They have taken extremely well.

Rasher

Rasher

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
Thats nice to know.

roger

roger

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
Hi
Cg how long to root in pots in your poly tunnel, another profit line ?

Cornish Gems

Cornish Gems

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts
Roger - they rooted over the winter - but we have yet to find a profitable market for them.

Romany

Romany

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
So are you lot talking about coppicing willow?

I have one willow on my land which isn't doing much to soak up the recent deluge :(. Good idea about hedging/windbreaks, might do that this winter, would give me a bit of privacy as well lol. I'm also thinking of a willow dome or similar to house a composting loo, anyone tried that yet?

Romany

Cornish Gems

Cornish Gems

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts
Well - we are. At the same time we have been looking at various trees we have in the field corners as they look as though they were coppiced at some time.

roger

roger

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Romany did you mean willow dome or composting loo have been  trying the latter out for last year

roger

Romany

Romany

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Roger,

Willow dome over a composting loo is what I was thinking!  How have you got on with the compost loo, and how high have you got it off the ground?

With regards to fuel:  I have lots of Ash saplings that I want to transplant, could coppice them as well as Ash is fantastic firewood even when green.

Romany

Thegreatescaper

Thegreatescaper

Turkey

• Book Owners
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationMid Essex

Another fantastic and little known use for willow is to root cuttings. You cut a branch that is approx one inch in diameter into one inch pieces, fill a container with them and cover with water for 24 hours. The water is then used as the water in which you root your cuttings or water your cuttings with. I have had fantastic results using this method. This water also works wonders if you water your seeds/seedlings with it. A word of warning though, willow spreads like nothing else which can be a positive or negative thing depending on your situation.

Romany, with regards to your ash saplings, please keep a very close eye on them. Chalora (ash die back desease) is decimating our ash trees. If you notice any sign of it I would remove and destroy the offending sapling immediately. It is caused by a fungus and without swift action it could rapidly spread throughout your stock. On a more positive note due to the way that ash trees reproduce some may be resilient or even immune to it, so hopefully it will not be as destructive as dutch elm desease was (although the wood I am currently working in has elms that are much larger than they should be able to become with this desease present, so hopefully that situation is improving.). If you end up with trees like this they could become very valuable, as as you state ash is a fantastic wood and for much more than just burning.

Romany

Romany

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Thank you TGE, I wasn't aware of this disease so I will check the saplings before I move them.  They are actually self-sown and some of them are quite big, so hopefully they are ok. 

They do seem to self-sow quite freely and I agree, ash is useful for more than just firewood, it is a lovely timber.

Romany

Thegreatescaper

Thegreatescaper

Turkey

• Book Owners
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationMid Essex

The fact that ash self-sows so easily is the one thing that may save the species as it increases genetic diversity. Unfortunately the desease can be hard to spot at this time of year as it is much easier to spot when the tree is in leaf, both by the crown dying back (leaving bare branches above the crown) and necrosis of the leaves (localised areas of dying on individual leaves). It can be diagnosed by the sight of lesions on the bark usually where twigs meet branches and where branches meet the trunk but this can be quite difficult although its usually easier in saplings. The size of the tree unfortunately doesn't provide any protection, however we are now not destroying infected adult trees as we discover them as the desease has spread way beyond our worst nightmares and by leaving them hopefully as they seed over the coming years a resistance or immunity may be built up. We can only hope that this happens, the desease  has decimated the ash stocks of Denmark, killing over 90% of them.

roger

roger

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

romany

compost loo is upstairs in toilet room,  standard wc in bathroom for non commited depositers!!!

it works fine no smell empty about 7 to 10 days , two pallet sized composting boxes 1st not full after nearly a year

wood chips for cover. would recomend the system

roger

fiveoaks

fiveoaks

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
I'm growing willow for fuel down in Essex if anyone is interested. So far I have 500 in rows of 100 They have been sown on 100 gsm weed fabric, makes a huge difference to the growth rate I also have another 100 grown straight onto grass, they are growing much slower I'm about to plant another 300 in the next week or so

Rasher

Rasher

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

is there any chance you could post some pictures.