Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

building a barn and debate about book

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Sapphire

Sapphire

Goose

• Book Owners
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationHertfordshire

Seems a bit touchy lol

Why does my asking how you know where I live make me sound touchy ?

I don't mind if people know where I live, I'm just interested to know how you know.

And what difference does it make whether I live in an expensive area or not ? And when have I ever said I don't like saying how much my land miight be worth ? And how do you conclude that I'm trying to use anything for financial gain ?

And what has any of the above got to do with the point that I have been trying to make that when you advertise Dave's book as "a book that explains how to live on agricultural and legally without needing planning permission", you should add that people will probably have to fight the LPA through the Courts.

che

che

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationSHROPSHIRE

Why does my asking how you know where I live make me sound touchy ?

Believe me you do sound touchy Posted Image
che

Sapphire

Sapphire

Goose

• Book Owners
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationHertfordshire

Believe me you do sound touchy :D

That's ok everyone's entitled to their opinion, it doesn't mean they're right.

Having just looked at your last post to me on the "using systems other than in the book" forum, you sound like someone who only likes talking to people who say what you want to hear !

admin

admin

Littlest Hobo

• Administrators
  • 638 posts
Sapphire, it makes a difference to me what your real reasons are for living on agricultural land. If you just want to do it so your son gets a nice house while sunbathing on some land for a few years then I don't really want to invest any more time in discussing anything with you.

If he really does want to start and run a smallholding then get him on here. He should have a read around and ask some specific questions. Build up his own opinion about how likely his specific scenario relates to chance of success. We have some very clever people on here and your 'doubts' that aren't really based on any facts are just a distraction. We're not here to showcase perfect examples, we are here to support the community that actually want to work on their land (and not just buy a few alpacas in a box scheme so you can claim functional need - I'll caveat that by saying that actually some people are into alpacas in a big way and do need to live on site, just I suspect this is not one of them).

Sapphire

Sapphire

Goose

• Book Owners
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationHertfordshire

Sapphire, it makes a difference to me what your real reasons are for living on agricultural land. If you just want to do it so your son gets a nice house while sunbathing on some land for a few years then I don't really want to invest any more time in discussing anything with you.

Now who's getting touchy !

You are moving away from the real issue here. I've only tried to raise one point. I've responded to you about this point on the forum called "using systems other than the book".

admin

admin

Littlest Hobo

• Administrators
  • 638 posts
I'm not touchy but I do want to get some useful content on here. It means that when google scans these pages we raise up the ranks and get more people on the site. Whether that means more book sales or not I don't really care, but i do like this community and do enjoy reading about smallholdings. I'd never do it myself, perhaps that's the fascination - I just like the idea. Go and have a read of some more diaries, they aren't all full of tragedy. Some of them are quite light hearted and nice to read.

Groundhog

Groundhog

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
You and your Google thats why Svetlana and Greta keep popping their heads up in the early hours !
Ummm not sure that has translated into text how I meant it ! Posted Image
Ummm not sure the last smiley face is appropreate either

Romany

Romany

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

And what has any of the above got to do with the point that I have been trying to make that when you advertise Dave's book as "a book that explains how to live on agricultural and legally without needing planning permission", you should add that people will probably have to fight the LPA through the Courts.

Actually the book DOES say that it will be a hard job, that planning officers will do everything they can to stop you including telling fibs etc. You seem to think that people who buy the book will be reading it through rose tinted specs and thinking everything will just fall into their laps. I for one certainly did not feel that when I bought the book - indeed the advert I read actually said it would involve possible fighting my local lpa. How you translate that into there being no 'warnings' that this may happen is beyond me. I for one have always been aware that it is not that simple.

Please give people more credit than you seem to be doing. Not everyone will buy the book thinking that that and the right amount of land is all they need. I am pretty sure most people are going into it with their eyes wide open, and if not, well the book (and this forum) will soon open their eyes for them!

Warning people that they may get taken to court is unnecessary, not everyone gets taken to court and even many of those who receive enforcements win their case on appeal - because the system in the book is right!

It is more the case that LPAs should issue warnings that they may waste your time, may lie to you, may issue enforcements which they will lose, and ultimately to boot that they will waste taxpayers' money doing all this! There have been many cases reported on this forum showing this to occur. How does that make f2f all negative?

I suspect you are one of the few who buy the book thinking it will be all you need for your son. If so, that is simply niave.

Romany