Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Chickens Trespassing

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

barrymoore

barrymoore

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
HI All, Aquestion for you,
this may sound silly but it has quite a significant outcome for me anyway.
I have of cours have a difficault neghbour who lives opersite my field, we fell out last year when she told my I could not cut my grass at 4:30 on a sunday evening as it was not agricultural cutting the verge to my land,
anyway I told her to mind hers and stay her side of the road, which i thought was the end of it.
Anyway the long and short of it is I have rear breed pigs, Alpacas, Goats, Turkeys and Chickens. the Chickens are the cause for concerne.
I have a number of rear breed pens which i let out and they stay on my land as far as I know all the time, i let them out at 09:00 am and put them back in a 6 foot high proper fox proof enclosure. they are very well fed as we have an arangment with tlocal school who delight in supplying us with fresh paster coocked potaotes etc so I supose they do not find the need or the energy to go to far!
Unlike my neghbours bantums from over the road who have just started roaming evrywhere my field the road there neghbours etc. I think infact i am sure the reson for this is because they don't feed them.
I am catching them every day in my pens eating my chickens feed! not only that i have just had an outbreak of scalley legg in my chckens which of course brings me to the Biosecurity reasons for not wanting them mixing with mine, also the interbreading that may happen. So I decided to confront them and this what was said. I asked them if they could restrict their bantoms from roaming as one was splatered on the road yesturday and i am finding them eating my feed, very politly. I was told I had no right confronting them and the birds have been doing this for 40 years and if I don't want them on my land then I should keep them out as it is not thir resposability to keep them in! as they have always done it, I tried to explain about the Biosecurity for their benifit and that one had been killed so it was infact their responsiblility to keep them in or at least restricted to their land by means of clipped wings, feeding them more! etc but it fell on deaf ears.
So questions are does anyone know of any law I can quote them, and does anyone know of the highways law that may have somthing about causing an accident

hoe to hear from you all

Regards Derek

ps I am not being bloody mineded about this I am very pasionate about my hens and have some lovely rear breeds

horse

horse

Piglet

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

HI All, Aquestion for you,
this may sound silly but it has quite a significant outcome for me anyway.
I have of cours have a difficault neghbour who lives opersite my field, we fell out last year when she told my I could not cut my grass at 4:30 on a sunday evening as it was not agricultural cutting the verge to my land,
anyway I told her to mind hers and stay her side of the road, which i thought was the end of it.
Anyway the long and short of it is I have rear breed pigs, Alpacas, Goats, Turkeys and Chickens. the Chickens are the cause for concerne.
I have a number of rear breed pens which i let out and they stay on my land as far as I know all the time, i let them out at 09:00 am and put them back in a 6 foot high proper fox proof enclosure. they are very well fed as we have an arangment with tlocal school who delight in supplying us with fresh paster coocked potaotes etc so I supose they do not find the need or the energy to go to far!
Unlike my neghbours bantums from over the road who have just started roaming evrywhere my field the road there neghbours etc. I think infact i am sure the reson for this is because they don't feed them.
I am catching them every day in my pens eating my chickens feed! not only that i have just had an outbreak of scalley legg in my chckens which of course brings me to the Biosecurity reasons for not wanting them mixing with mine, also the interbreading that may happen. So I decided to confront them and this what was said. I asked them if they could restrict their bantoms from roaming as one was splatered on the road yesturday and i am finding them eating my feed, very politly. I was told I had no right confronting them and the birds have been doing this for 40 years and if I don't want them on my land then I should keep them out as it is not thir resposability to keep them in! as they have always done it, I tried to explain about the Biosecurity for their benifit and that one had been killed so it was infact their responsiblility to keep them in or at least restricted to their land by means of clipped wings, feeding them more! etc but it fell on deaf ears.
So questions are does anyone know of any law I can quote them, and does anyone know of the highways law that may have somthing about causing an accident

hoe to hear from you all

Regards Derek

ps I am not being bloody mineded about this I am very pasionate about my hens and have some lovely rear breeds

Chickens dont live 40 years, so they cant be doing this for 40 years.

when you fall out sometimes you can fall back in

however my neighbours alway say they have been doing it for 25 years well i say about time for a change then.

your best bet is to call DEFRA and get advice.

Groundhog

Groundhog

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Chickens dont live 40 years, so they cant be doing this for 40 years.

when you fall out sometimes you can fall back in

however my neighbours alway say they have been doing it for 25 years well i say about time for a change then.

your best bet is to call DEFRA and get advice.

Catch them up and eat them they will either run out of chickens or fence their ground,it is the keepers responsability as to the welfare of the animals and they need to comply with codes of practice.If their animals cause an accident on the highway they would be liable if shown to be neglegent.
This reminds me of a friend who whilst travelling on a motorbike on a straight road saw a goat in the distance gently grazing on the opposite verge,he slowed slightly but as the goat was a few feet from the road he kept approaching the animal.
Can anyone tell me what happened next ?

barrymoore

barrymoore

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Thanks Lamb, what happend next to the goat or the motorbike?

sodbuster

sodbuster

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Was it a crafty speedtrap ? Just as well he slowed down

Sodbuster

Romany

Romany

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
It is definitely their responsibility. I had a similar problem on my first smallholding - one of the neighbour's gardens backed onto my land. He kept hens and allowed them (and his cockerels) to get onto my land. This eventually stopped when I asked him politely to prevent it.

If it was larger livestock (sheep, pigs etc) would they still try say it wasn't their responsibility? I think not somehow. I agree with Groundhog and Horse - get advice from DEFRA and keep the hens on your land until you have them all - let them ask for them back - then bill them for the feed :lol: ! (I'd draw the line at eating them though in case it comes back to haunt you (i.e. you get taken to court) ;) !)

Romany

Groundhog

Groundhog

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Goat, Motorbike, Friend

Groundhog

Groundhog

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Was it a crafty speedtrap ? Just as well he slowed down

Sodbuster

No

Cornish Gems

Cornish Gems

Lord and Lady of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts
  • LocationCornwall (formerly Devon)

They are very well fed as we have an arangment with local school who delight in supplying us with fresh pasta cooked potatoes etc so I supose they do not find the need or the energy to go to far

We appreciate that this reply is not answering your question, but we feel we must point out that we (the farmer) are no longer allowed to feed our livestock with any kind of kitchen scraps. It is an awful nuisance of course and causes such a waste of food but that is the decision made by the powers that be. We are lucky - our own food store is a caravan which has its own cooker where we can cook the chickens mash, etc.

barrymoore

barrymoore

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

We appreciate that this reply is not answering your question, but we feel we must point out that we (the farmer) are no longer allowed to feed our livestock with any kind of kitchen scraps. It is an awful nuisance of course and causes such a waste of food but that is the decision made by the powers that be. We are lucky - our own food store is a caravan which has its own cooker where we can cook the chickens mash, etc.

HI yes we are well aware of this the" food scraps" come direct from the kitchen before it has been distributed out to the hungry children ie not served but left overs and the staff have a special bucket to put this in things like peas, sweet corn, not food that has been out and come back. Also a seperate bucket is walked around the school for left over fruit the children don't eat! the kitchen staff are aware of all prohibited food and make sure none of this food suplied has come in to contact with the prohibited food.

Regards Derek

PS It seems they have chosen to ignore my request and this AM there were 3 in with my chickens 2 in with my pigs and 3 in with my Turkeys, trouble is they are so small and quick I can't catch them!

what to do?

Cornish Gems

Cornish Gems

Lord and Lady of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts
  • LocationCornwall (formerly Devon)
Feed them one by one to the pigs! It's not your fault if your pigs like to eat chickens!

barrymoore

barrymoore

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Feed them one by one to the pigs! It's not your fault if your pigs like to eat chickens!

Hi cornish yes I agree except as the previous post the pigs are not allowed to eat them! Doh

KChally

KChally

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts
Could you tempt them into a fenced area with a shed, leave the door open and throw in some feed. Leave them in there for a couple of days and feed them so they get to know it as their home. Then do it again with the next lot that come onto your land and so on and so on. Eventually they should all be in the same pen/shed.

che

che

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationSHROPSHIRE
Hi Derek

Send them recorded delivery a letter stating your concerns re bio-security and loss of feed and inform them that if this practice continues that you reserve the right to dispose of such livestock to defray expenses. Take photos of thebirds feeding and if you find a visitor with scally leg all the better.
It is unlikely they would try to take you to court and if they did you would need to justify thaqt you had acted in a reasonable manner.
che

barrymoore

barrymoore

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Hi Derek

Send them recorded delivery a letter stating your concerns re bio-security and loss of feed and inform them that if this practice continues that you reserve the right to dispose of such livestock to defray expenses. Take photos of thebirds feeding and if you find a visitor with scally leg all the better.
It is unlikely they would try to take you to court and if they did you would need to justify thaqt you had acted in a reasonable manner.

spoke to deffra today put me in touch with their vet? anyway didnt know what to sugest, maybe speak to trading standards? he sugested.
have raised invoice for eggs i cant sell as hatchung eggs @ £1.50 x 20 and feed @ £5 per day see if that makes a difference then when it builds ill take him to court

Romany

Romany

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Hi cornish yes I agree except as the previous post the pigs are not allowed to eat them! Doh

:lol: BUT you are not feeding them to the pigs the pigs are doing what comes natural and eating them ;) (if they do, that is!).

You can tell that I for one think the current laws regarding feed are so much poppycock - I agree cows, sheep and goats shoud not be fed anything resembling another creature but pigs (and chickens!) are like us, omnivores which means they eat both meat and plant material. (However I would draw the line at feeding like to like!) All this legislation came about due to unscrupulous feed companies making sheep/cow feed out of dead animals and persuading farmers it was okay to feed their livestock with it. :angry:

Who's to say the last lot of foot and mouth really came from a discarded ham sandwich and not from blasted big pharma or similar as in the case of swine flu?

Sorry for going off topic and for the rant!

Romany

che

che

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationSHROPSHIRE

:lol: BUT you are not feeding them to the pigs the pigs are doing what comes natural and eating them ;) (if they do, that is!).

You can tell that I for one think the current laws regarding feed are so much poppycock - I agree cows, sheep and goats shoud not be fed anything resembling another creature but pigs (and chickens!) are like us, omnivores which means they eat both meat and plant material. (However I would draw the line at feeding like to like!) All this legislation came about due to unscrupulous feed companies making sheep/cow feed out of dead animals and persuading farmers it was okay to feed their livestock with it. :angry:

Who's to say the last lot of foot and mouth really came from a discarded ham sandwich and not from blasted big pharma or similar as in the case of swine flu?

Sorry for going off topic and for the rant!

Romany

Ranting is good :D and entertaining :lol:
che

Groundhog

Groundhog

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

A traditional way to remove unwanted undergrowth is by using a goat,a selective way to achieve this result is to use a tether.Unfortunately this particular keeper chose to tether goat on right hand side of road,but goat decided to graze on left hand side of road.Think the order of events went
Ahhh Goat !
Rope !
S*** !

Romany

Romany

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

A traditional way to remove unwanted undergrowth is by using a goat,a selective way to achieve this result is to use a tether.Unfortunately this particular keeper chose to tether goat on right hand side of road,but goat decided to graze on left hand side of road.Think the order of events went
Ahhh Goat !
Rope !
S*** !

Ouch. Hope your friend was okay Gh?

Romany