Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Invisible posts in topics using topic moderation

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Cornish Gems

Cornish Gems

Lord and Lady of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts
  • LocationCornwall (formerly Devon)
We would like to 'highlight' some of the older posts for our own reference purposes and do away with those that we do not consider to be relevant in our situation in certain threads. This would be for our personal use only - other members might choose different ones to 'highlight'. We did look at the options under Topic Moderation which had one saying, 'Set Invisible (Unapprove Post), but were afraid that that would not do the trick for us personally and anyway it was not that we did not approve of the other posts but just that they did not add any new information. We note that Surreydodger at one time used nts (note to self) to highlight important points, but could it be made possible for each of us to be able to pick out the ones we would like to stand out in very old posts?

che

che

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationSHROPSHIRE
Would it be possible to have a storage box as we all have posts that are a bit special to our circumstances and saves searching
che

admin

admin

Littlest Hobo

• Administrators
  • 638 posts
Let me look into post tagging and watching. Be a bit careful with the mod options... that option to make a post invisible is really for mods to stop everyone seeing that particular post. Other mods can still see it however, in context which is useful, and can be reapproved or deleted once discussed. Obviously in the meantime you will have stopped all non mods seeing the content :)

admin

admin

Littlest Hobo

• Administrators
  • 638 posts
The only thing that comes close to what you guys want in the standard forum software is 'Watched Content'. You basically go into the topic you like and click the watch button. Then when you want to find that topic again you can navigate to the front page of the forum and look in the topics tab of the watched content box in the bottom right.

To hide posts within topics I can only think of using the voting functions. Then change the minimum reputation posts you want to see. There is a good page on how that all works here: Link

Since the above probably doesn't cover exactly what Dave wants I've added a 'Links' section on the left hand side (under chat). Book Owners and Moderators can submit useful links. Think of it a bit like a 'meta forum' which we could use to create a specific heirarchy that would overlay the current forum structure. Then you could browse to topic links from one bucket that might be located in any forum section. Just an idea... work with me via this topic to add that structure within the links page. Then you guys can fill it with the links.

Cornish Gems

Cornish Gems

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

To hide posts within topics I can only think of using the voting functions. Then change the minimum reputation posts you want to see.

Brilliant idea! However, the only problem is that we are now being told that we have reached our maximum daily positive votes! We were doing so well with picking out the posts we may need to read again and then watching any topic that had any positive votes! BTW, is the vote visible to everyone?

admin

admin

Littlest Hobo

• Administrators
  • 638 posts
Hi, I've increased maximum positive and negative votes for Moderators from 5 points per day to 5 million. Hopefully that will be enough :)

Everyone sees the votes but nobody can see who voted. I can change that if you want but will leave it alone unless someone requests it.

Please have a play around. I'm not an expert but I read the documentation as saying when you vote a post up it increases overall reputation of that person. So I'm not sure if all posts by a person get uprated or whether it stays on the content, or perhaps both.

Let me know if you two want a 'Cornish Gems BackPack' area to save links in the Links section. Or a Dave C's golden nuggets or something similar. Or whether you'd prefer something more functionally related like "topics that help with sewerage and waste" etc.

Romany

Romany

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Let me know if you two want a 'Cornish Gems BackPack' area to save links in the Links section. Or a Dave C's golden nuggets or something similar. Or whether you'd prefer something more functionally related like "topics that help with sewerage and waste" etc.

Like this idea, could be good, but then again I'm not sure if I understand totally what you're proposing lol (too many late nights recently :blink: )

Romany

Cornish Gems

Cornish Gems

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts
Hi Steve - thank you for the work you put into making this forum an even better place whilst you were in New York.

We like your links section and think your idea of more topics under it a good one and from our point of veiw we think we would find a backpack very useful as there are several topics that do NOT relate to our circumstances but there are definitely some that are highly relevant.

We are sorry to be a pain though, but some of the topics which are highl relevant in our circumtances are under 'Ask Dave' . If a link to one of those was put under the LINKS Section, would non-bookowners be able to read it? You see, we still feel that a lot of relevant information is available to any Tom, Dick or Harry, which we think should only be availabe for book owners, for instance, a lot of the topics under Planning Permission Questions and Land Related Questions.

We are also a little concerned about your comment regarding reputation - it rather spoils things in our opinion as we can hardly make a posting negative just because it does not interest us if it is going to affect the poster's reputation. That would not be fair.

admin

admin

Littlest Hobo

• Administrators
  • 638 posts
Links to content still go via the normal authorisation mechanism in the links section. So if you link to ask Dave topics a person could click but would need to be a book owner to open.

If there is content that isn't currently being discussed and you feel should be book members only then move it to that section :)

For the reputation I see what you mean. It's not personal and would be a global vote. However by default all posts are shown. You don't need to negative stuff, just upvote the posts you really like then change your filter at the bottom to show only posts with +5 for instance. Then it only affects those who have modified their filters from standard.

Cornish Gems

Cornish Gems

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts
Whilst it may be true that actions speak louder than words, we really do feel that we must mention how grateful we are for our 'Backpack'. It is so much quicker than copying things down in a notebook and then later on not being able to find the right page. Thank you Steve.

admin

admin

Littlest Hobo

• Administrators
  • 638 posts
I'm just glad you are finding it useful. Now if somebody to train Dave C on how to use his area lol

che

che

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationSHROPSHIRE

I'm just glad you are finding it useful. Now if somebody to train Dave C on how to use his area lol

I tried to use it but failed :rolleyes:

Will ask the kids to help me at weekend :)

Regards Luddite :lol:
che