Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Highways/Access

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Groundhog

Groundhog

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
Think this has been touched on before but would appreciate any info from people who undertook themselves ,the assessment of visability/access/and traffic speeds and how they composed this in a document,and resolved any issues raised.Believe this can be done by applicant using a speed camera/day date time etc.Or anyone who can point out such a document that appears on a successful Temp App so I can see the lay out Thanks

Piglet

Piglet

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
I would be interested in this information too as one of the reasons against our temp dwelling is Highways reasoning that the road is too small for much traffic but I don't think that any traffic actually goes along our road. I could go up there and record the trafffic but where would be the proof that I was telling the truth? Piglet

happymanoftheworld

happymanoftheworld

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
Hi - regarding ""ROAD: ---- the problem is that the roads department look at all roads with planning entrances at being of traffic at 60 miles p. h.

I had this with mine - definate "NO" as on bend and hill. They had only looked on map and as hill was downhill it actually improved vision..... after a lot of weadling out conversation they finally said "Ah! I suppose you could use the 85 percentile rule!!" ---- "Oh! What is that" was my reply.

I had to pay for elastic bands, then the figures of speed through a week are tabulated and the top 15% removed ---- that is the average speed and what the road in reality should be based on. The effect to you and I is that when the 60m.p.h. A road was used at first my sight line had to be 250 yards ------ and wasn't - however when the percentile was done the 85% percentile average speed came up at 37 miles p.h. because of the bend (as I had thought). This had the effect of reducing my sightline to 160 yds or thereabouts!!! Success on THAT part.... objection lifted.

Remember on thing, the sightline for visibility is NOT STANDING UP at the ENTRANCE - it has to be as if you were sitting in a drivers seat i.e. about a metre or two (can't remember exactly) back and with your eyes about a metre above the surface at that spot. It severley alters things to the bad. HOWEVER - have you considered asking them if you could move the hedge back a metre or so ----- whioch would give THEM the benefit of wider verges?

Good luck - have a great day!

From Wikepedia - The speed limit is commonly set at or below the '85th percentile speed' (which is the speed at which 85% of the traffic is travelling)[22] and in the USA is typically set 8 to 12 mph (13 to 19 km/h) below that speed.[23] (hmotw NOTE - BUT WE IN THE UK HAVE THE NATIONASL 60! - if this percentile IDEA was used the speed limits would usually be substantially ALTERED)