Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Pig Academy/School in Lincolnshire

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Lynne

Lynne

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationYorkshire
I don't know if anyone else saw this on the BBC news this morning but thought some of us on here might be interested:

Pig School

I think its encouraging that they are basing this on the "growing demand for quality British Pork"

che

che

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationSHROPSHIRE
I suspect attendance on this course or similair would help smooth any application for AWD. Lets hope it is a sucees and is is then replicated accross the country.
che

che

che

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationSHROPSHIRE
Hi All,

Word of warning after looking further into this course it would appear to be linked with an oppotunity to supply on contract to a major retailer. A little like the system used by breweries.

Dave C
che

Lynne

Lynne

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationYorkshire
Thats surprised me Dave. The young female farmer towards the end of the video link, is based just 40 minutes from me. Her whole Pig enterprise is based on selling direct to the public, quality high street butchers and farmers markets. I spoke to Anna mid last year and asked about working for free with her for a couple of weeks to gain some "insider knowledge" which she was more than happy to do.

che

che

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationSHROPSHIRE
Hi Lynne,

Just something I read while googling. However this link looks more positive.

http://www.freshstartfarming.co.uk/

Dave C
che

Romany

Romany

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
Dave, both Lynne's and your links are for Fresh Start so don't know how you can say one sounds more promising than the other?!

Riseholme is Lincoln's agricultural college and is part of Lincoln uni (it's just down the road from me), and our nearest Waitrose store is less than 3 miles from Riseholme (in fact it is nearer to Riseholme than Lincoln's abbatoir!).

The pdf outlining the course (http://www.pigworld....let Final 1.pdf) does not appear to expect people to sign a contract, just that the course will show what can be done. Frankly, if push came to shove, I would far rather sell my pigs to Waitrose than Tesco!

However peeps should indeed make sure all the right questions are asked before signing away anything!

Might go along to the launch just for a nosy ;) :lol:
Romany

che

che

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationSHROPSHIRE
Hi Romany,

These are a couple of links that link the course to Waitrose & BQP. Howard Revell is a director of BQP.

On the plus side the cost is low£50 and it could help smooth any future planning application. It does seem heaviley weighted towards factory farming methods.

If you go be sure to let us know how you get on. This course has been run at other colleges and they hope to roll it out nationally.

http://www.thepigsit...-pork-producers
http://www.farmersgu...le/1548.article

Dave C
che

che

che

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationSHROPSHIRE

Might go along to the launch just for a nosy ;) :lol:

Hi Romany

Just wondering if you went and if so was it any good?

Dave C
che

Romany

Romany

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
Hi Dave
The info day (and the course!) was fully booked so no I wasn't able to attend. However I've been told that more courses will be arranged in the future and they've kept my details so will contact me when they come up. Will keep you updated ;)!

Romany