Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Does this 1 page business example meet all the tests

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Robin1

Robin1

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationGreater Manchester
Hello Dave/all,

Would it be possible to cast your eye over this excert from my business plan which is a 1 page schedule of my intended business.
Could you advise whether in your opinion, I would meet all of the tests with this or whether I should be looking to increase say the pig production to justify the functionality and productivity tests.
I am aware that the book highlights at least 50 sows should be kept, however as I intend to diversify and have two main enterprises, ie. highland cattle and pigs, combined with the other activities how do you think this would be viewed or should I concentrate on say 50 sows initially.
The reason I want to keep both as a main enterprise is that due to the feed costs, I could feed both with the harvesting of 2 wheat crops a year.

NB : I have spoken to a councillor who is on the planning committee (for past 20 years), knows an awful lot about planning and he has offered to assist me and suggests that we meet, he advises that he can liaise with the planning department on my behalf to clarify anything and that I should not set my sights too low with a 2 bed bungalow, that I should consider something more substantial initially, athough he did say there were no guarantees and it might be a simpler option to buy land close to a village or town so as to buy a house off site, and travel to the smallholding, althouh he said he wasnt trying to be negative, just giving me options.
I was wondering whether it would be wise providing him with a business plan or this schedule of intentions or whether it would be best to just give a verbal overview and see what he can do to assist.

Acreage Crop/animal Purpose Yield Est. Profit

8 Wheat and hay from Animal feed 48 tonnes hay Nil
two crops per year. wheat for pigs/foul and hay for cattle. 21.3 tonnes wheat

10 Highland cattle from 6 Build herd to 12 heifers & sell 12 calves p.a. from year 4. £ 11,500
pregnant females and at 30mth
1 unrelated bull.

2 Pigs x 5 (+1 boar) To sell progeny at age 23 weeks. 80 piglets £ 15,500
from year 2.

1/4 Chickens x 10 To sell eggs 2500 eggs @90p per ½ doz. £360

1/4 Turkeys x 2f, 1m To sell progeny 50 turkeys at £50 per turkey £ 2,500

In Orchard Bees for honey/pollination To sell retail In around 6 years negligible

1 Potatoes To sell retail and spoilt for animal feed At market - guestimate £ 1,000

1 Sweet potatoes To sell retail and spoilt for animal feed At market - guestimate £ 1,000

1 Turnips To sell retail and spoilt for animal feed At market - guestimate £ 1,000

2 Xmas trees To sell retail Ready from year 7, £ 7,500
sell 250 a year at £30 each

4 Orchard dwarf fruit trees. To sell retail and spoilt for animal feed Ready to sell fruit in year 6 £ 11,200

1/4 Polytunnels To sell retail and direct guestimate £ 2,000
Garlic/asparagusPlants/trees

1/4 Barn/buildings/mobile home Housing, self/stock/food etc n/a Nil

I have also attached the schedule as a file.

Thank you.
Robin.

Attached Files

Groundhog

Groundhog

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
Hi Robin can you clarify the 8 wheat/hay and 21.3 tonnes of wheat section you say 2 crops in one year please expand .Is the figure acres ?
Also the 12 calves per year,what age are you going to sell them ?
Where have you got these figures from ?
There are no costs attached ie Concentrate cost per head of animal,vet and medicine
Regards

che

che

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationSHROPSHIRE
Hi Robin1,
Word of warning re councillor advising you, who would then need to declare an interest and refrain from vote. Frankly the whole liiasing process you can do youself and I am surprised any councillor would offer such a service.
Regarding your Business plan you may need to add weight to why you meet the functional need. If you look at other plans in "Planning Cases" you will see examples of how to flesh out your document to please the planners.

Good Luck

Dave C
che

Guest_Robin1_*

Guest_Robin1_*
  • Guests
Hello Groundhog/Dave C,

Thank you for the super fast responses.

I thought the schedule may become crunched up when it was displayed, hence attaching a schedule doc. in case this happened.(which it did)

The attached doc answers some of your questions re : acres, age of calves at sale

I cannot attach another doc that hopefully addresses the points you raised but some of the wesites I've checked are :

http://www.highlandc...e_averages.aspx
http://wiki.answers...._are_in_an_acre
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheat
http://www.ehow.co.u...lant-wheat.html
http://www.brockwell...at_teachers.pdf
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7284011.stm
plus other websites I haven’t saved.

I factored in a small amount of vet fees etc due to the hardiness of the highland cattle and tamworth pigs (£500 p.a. cattle and £500 pigs)
If you want to provide your e-mail address I'll e-mail the document but must point out that I am using figures and production amounts from searching the net so if you are aware of more realistic figures then please post them/advise.

Thank you.
Robin1

Groundhog

Groundhog

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
Hi Robin
John Nix Pocket Farm Management book is used by agric students and provides gross margins for many enterprizes.Suggest you research each enterprize and find out the true costs both fixed and variable for each. Also the cost of ploughing drilling seeding spraying harvesting,unless you have your own equipment.Feed costs per animal Vet costs per animal.
Printed figures are good to use in a forecast but will be very different from reality.A sheep maybe worth £50 or £5000 depending what it is.As Dave C says also focus on the functional need for being there.Do you have a market for all these products ?.Dont take this as negativity you have a plan and figures now just research

Robin1

Robin1

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Hi Groundhog,

Thanks for the info.

Re : Having distribution channels for the produce - I have identified this within the business plan with suitable possibilities but nothing definite.

Robin1.

alanandastrid

alanandastrid

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationDevon
Robin1

I'm very interested to hear how your plans have turned out as this is quite similar to where we're at now.....well preparing our business plan and focusing on cattle and pigs, with little diversification, but just enough to make sense and support these animals.

Your spreadsheet is the mot useful thing I've seen to date. Is there an updated or more detailed version.???

All the best.

Alan

Robin1

Robin1

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Hello Alan,
Sorry for the late reply, I havent logged in for a good while.
There is no updated version I'm afraid, but what I would suggest is that you follow Groundhogs advice and obtain the John Nix Farm management Pocketbook, which really is excellent.
This book provides you with all the information you need to take into account in order to create your own spreadsheet, which will obviously be a lot more accurate and specific to your own objectives.
I got mine the 2011 version from Amazon, however they are now doing the 2012 version at £21 with free P&P.
Hope this helps.
Robin.