Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Highways

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Burl

Burl

• Book Owners
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationChichester
Hello again
I have another battle on my hands and need help if anyone on the site has any experience in this field.
The road leading to my property has woodland along one side ,its a very narrow road and is maintained by West Sussex Highways .
My buisness depends on visitors using this road to get to me and I need to use the road every day.
The problem is that the land owners of the woods has allowed the trees/undergrowth to encroach over the road to such an extent the vegitation scratches the vehicles on access and egress from my place .
Delivery lorries now refuse to deliver to me as one damaged his cab on a branch and the other firms driver flatly refused to try to use the road.
I have contacted highways whos say they have contacted the land owners to cut the vegitation back,two months on nothing has been done.I again asked Highways to enforce the clearence and no replies.
Can this be enforced by them ,what can I do and where do I go to get it done.
I also had a directional sign on the road in the village along with several other peoples signs ,mine was picked out and I was told I had to remove it , all others are still in situ.....any advice please (apart from give up and move out..)
Burl

che

che

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationSHROPSHIRE
Hi Burl try this link http://www.devon.gov...maintenance.pdf Page 2 In the past I have been visited by council officials after complaint by local farmer who wanted to purchhase my property because it ajoined his land. Further proof they have a duty on this matter. Suggest written complaints to council and threaten them with ombudsman if they fail to carry out obligations. You could also consider possible claim in Small Claims Court for losses incurred by your business ie added transport costs, inform council you are considering this.
PS sounds like sour gapes after your sucess with planning Posted Image
PPS this work could be carried out by council and then charged to landowner so nil cost to taxpayer.
Dave C
che

happymanoftheworld

happymanoftheworld

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Hello again
Can this be enforced by them ,what can I do and where do I go to get it done.
I also had a directional sign on the road in the village along with several other peoples signs ,mine was picked out and I was told I had to remove it , all others are still in situ.....any advice please (apart from give up and move out..)

1. I would really get on to Highways again and stress road safety issue.... if branch smashed a car window. Somewhere I read that landowners are responsible for cutting back hedges and that there is a minimum distance they must be back from road.

2. Is it possible to pay a farmer to put a big sign on a trailer ---- perfectly legal nowadays. :)

treebloke

treebloke

• Book Owners
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Hello again

I have many years experience in this as a contractor for several highways authorities over the years.

The statutory clearance over a public highway in this instance will be 5.2 mts and I have never known an exception to this. Your highways authority have a duty of care to maintain this distance and they can either do it themselves under routine maintenance or make the land owner do it depending on the situation. If the land owner refuses they can carry out the work under the miscellaneous provisions act and make a charge either on him or if he has no money then the charge will be held against the land to be paid if it is ever sold.

You need to find the name of the highways inspector and try and speak with him, they are normally quite good as they are often lads who have been on the tools themselves at some stage. If that doesn't work start going higher until you get to the area surveyor.

Be polite and keep a record of each call or e mail.

With regard to the signs, the highway inspector should be removing all signs which are attached to street furntiture on a regular basis, fact is they do not have enough time. He may have removed all signs and poeple have put others back up or maybe yours fell off or some one else took it.

If you want a sign on a public highway you need to apply to them, hence the need to stay polite.

If I can be any further help please shout.

freeborn

freeborn

Duckling

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
This might be a bit late, but its what i did many years ago no more than 5 miles from you!

I put small discreet signs up, and highways took them down, this went on for months, UNTIL i went to the council tip and bought a couple of old bicycles, i welded a thin bit of metal to the inside of the frame and put my sign on it, the bikes were fully working with pumped up tires and everything! lol
these bicycles were then chained and padlocked to suitable lamp posts etc.

the council tried to get rid of them but as my staff and i were using them to get to work(cough), they left them alone.

i know where you are situated and know that road well, you could always get your car sign written and park it on the grass triangle at the start of the drive.

best of luck!

Alex

Burl

Burl

• Book Owners
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationChichester
Hi thanks for that last. I am going to put a sign on the roof of my old Landie and park it on the triangle ... and await the outcome
Burl

Burl

Burl

• Book Owners
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationChichester
Just heard from two people that only one complaint made about my sign and I was told to remove it!!
A parish counillors sign for his buisnes out on the Main Rd has had three complaints made to the council that are known about and the sign remains.
Its a funny old world .
One could get a complex.
Burl
Burl