Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Pigs again

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Cornish Gems

Cornish Gems

Lord and Lady of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts
  • LocationCornwall (formerly Devon)
We know a lot about what you are not to feed to pigs and some of the things you CAN feed to pigs, but nowhere is sugar beet mentioned either for or against. They love their carrots - even when they are frozen ones and we wondered if we could give them some sugar beet as a treat for their Christmas Dinner! And will it make their 'meat' sweeter so that you can have sweet cured pork on the hoof?

An answer regarding feeding sugar beet to them would be appreciated as it is on a very special offer at the moment. Have any of you done it and would you do it again?

Groundhog

Groundhog

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

We know a lot about what you are not to feed to pigs and some of the things you CAN feed to pigs, but nowhere is sugar beet mentioned either for or against. They love their carrots - even when they are frozen ones and we wondered if we could give them some sugar beet as a treat for their Christmas Dinner! And will it make their 'meat' sweeter so that you can have sweet cured pork on the hoof?

An answer regarding feeding sugar beet to them would be appreciated as it is on a very special offer at the moment. Have any of you done it and would you do it again?

Would suggest you get advise from your vet cant remember the stomach system on a pig but am sure you know if you feed to horses without soaking for 24 hrs you can kill them,I give it to my sheep in a 20 gallon drinking trough with water at lambing they love it and it increases milk production and can help prevent twin lamb disease they can eat it on pellet form as well but that sort of defeats the object as it swells up in their stomach and surpresses appetite

mudpatch

mudpatch

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
Hi

Try this link: http://www.rivercott...-and-sugar-beet

Mudpatcher

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
Hi cornish gems i feed my pigs on sugar beet nuts , just soak a large bucket full that will last them 3-4 days and no harm will be done this way , it also takes them longer to eat and fills them quicker so they think they have had a right gut full of feed ,just what a pig needs in frosty conditions , also means you can cut the concentrate intake a bit and save money
I have fed sheep / cattle and pigs on it fine and only soaked it for the pigs to fill them up or young animals .

JUST DONT FEED HORSES WHOLE DRIED NUTS

happymanoftheworld

happymanoftheworld

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

JUST DONT FEED HORSES WHOLE DRIED NUTS

Exactly!!! I actually use Speedybeet - soak for 10 or 20 mins.... about three volume water to one volume beet. Best reason is that it soaks before it freezes!!! :D Honest! - then I stand bucket with unuse amount inside a feed bin which acts as insulation so doesn't go rock hard. (ice) B)

Cornish Gems

Cornish Gems

Lord and Lady of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts
  • LocationCornwall (formerly Devon)
Many thanks all of you for your helpful replies. Does anyone know what one can do with sugar beet should one's fussy pigs turn their snouts up at them?

But we are amazed that no-one suggested adding lemon to their diet so as to cut short the recipe for sweet and sour!

happymanoftheworld

happymanoftheworld

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Many thanks all of you for your helpful replies. Does anyone know what one can do with sugar beet should one's fussy pigs turn their snouts up at them?

But we are amazed that no-one suggested adding lemon to their diet so as to cut short the recipe for sweet and sour!

Ah! Correct CG - however Gordon Ramsay's tip of the day - leave beet to stand for four days ---- then you have the sour without buying any lemons! :P

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
Only thing i have found that pigs dont eat are parsnips and tomatoes , i am shure they will eat sb fast as they can get it in, they love the juice too, slurp it straight out of a bucket :D

Piglet

Piglet

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Only thing i have found that pigs dont eat are parsnips and tomatoes , i am shure they will eat sb fast as they can get it in, they love the juice too, slurp it straight out of a bucket :D

Hi all so is the conclusion to this that they can eat sugar beet pellets without soaking but if you want to fill them up more then soak it? Rachel x

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
Thats whay i am saying but check with a vet first or your feed merchant , thats me covered then :D

Romany

Romany

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

My Berkshires loved tomatoes, but never ate their onions! Goes to show, they have the same likes and dislikes as us humans lol :lol:
Romany

happymanoftheworld

happymanoftheworld

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Hi all so is the conclusion to this that they can eat sugar beet pellets without soaking but if you want to fill them up more then soak it? Rachel x

I know I will lose popularity but no, I do not agree with not soaking first ----- if you look at the volume before soaking and after soaking it stands to reason how much water the dry beet withdraws..... if not soaked that water has to come from the animals system ---- I believe it could cause a lot of problems. :(
By the way - did you get my private email Rachel?

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts

I know I will lose popularity but no, I do not agree with not soaking first ----- if you look at the volume before soaking and after soaking it stands to reason how much water the dry beet withdraws..... if not soaked that water has to come from the animals system ---- I believe it could cause a lot of problems. :(

Hi Happy i don`t think you have lost any pop there , as i said soaked pulp will fill and animal up quick and for hungry pigs in cold weather thats great, but for animals that are pregnant with small stomaches and access to pleanty of water it may be better to feed a few sbp nuts in their mixed diet rather than bulky soaked shreds .(prevent prolapses etc)

happymanoftheworld

happymanoftheworld

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

animals that are pregnant with small stomaches and access to pleanty of water it may be better to feed a few sbp nuts in their mixed diet rather than bulky soaked shreds .(prevent prolapses etc)

Ahhhh! That was the missing bit! And the words "a few" :D

Piglet

Piglet

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Hi there happy man, yes I did get your message - thank you very much. I have just bought some sugar beet!

Piglet

Piglet

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Hi there - have tried the sugar beet with our pigs and it is great - can you tell me where it is on very special offer Rachel x