Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Installing Electric Cable

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

KChally

KChally

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts
Hi All,

I hope someone may be able to help me with some info. We have to resite our mobile home approx 100 metres from where it is now.
(the planning for this is ok so no probs there) At the moment we are hooked up to the mains electric in the barn so have all mod cons etc.

I have spoken to 2/3 electricians about what size of cable we will need, to make sure we can run the caravan as it is now. The electric meter will be approx 100 metres from the new site. We have been told different mm sizes eg: 35mm, 50mm, 70mm etc so are now totally confused.

We dont want to put in a full service as such, just a good temporary cable that will run the caravan ie telly, fridge, lights, electric heater ( for when really cold) etc. Eventually we want to build the house near to where we are resiting the caravan, but dont want the expense at the moment of the full cable required to run a house. If we put in the full cable now to run a house, we may have to move it depending on the actual siting of the house, if you know what I mean.

Sorry its a bit long winded, but hope someone can help.

Many Thanks
KChally

happymanoftheworld

happymanoftheworld

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
Hi KC - the point is do you mean LEGALLY or ???? As I would not like to be sued for wrong advice which resulted in a fire I will only say what I have done.
I (and I am NOT advising anyone else to do this) have my electric supply box in barn. I had to move caravan to other side of barn in field. It is now suspended (the cable, not the caravan!)between the tops of the walls of the barn - but with tractors banned if they have their prongs in the air! I have used cooker gauge cable - because I only have gas or a microwave oven which does normal cook. The fuse box in the caravn then disperses it at the correct rating to each socket. That has worked great for two years. The ONLY mistake I made was that I used an adaptor on the kettle socket, turned the kettle AND the micro oven on at same time..... two minutes later complete blackness, ten minutes later found torch, 10.5 minutes later gasped at redisgned plug adaptor shape - VERY Tate Modern. Now I make sure I don't use both at same time. Note that it was NOT the wiring tet let me down. Hope this make an interesting story and not advice because you are meant to use expensive shielded cable underground (deep!) etc. etc. Posted Image

Shawng

Shawng

Chick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
For a 60 amp supply 100m with a 3 % volt drop you would require 50mm cable on single phase
See website http://www.doncaster...able_calculator

Cornish Gems

Cornish Gems

Lord and Lady of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts
  • LocationCornwall (formerly Devon)
Thanks Shawng have pinned the link at top of the forum it is extremely helpful.

CG