Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How do you get an address?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

LordDayus

LordDayus

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
Hello guys.

It has just occurred to me that we do not have an official address for our field. When I once tried to explain to Central Networks I do not have an address, they said that it is the Council who issue addresses and then send that info to the Royal Mail.

Has anyone any idea what happens if we are trying to keep under the radar etc. and once the planners get to grips with the siting of the caravan, if they issue an address>

Your assistance will enable me to start sleeping again!

Thanks in advance.

Lord Dayus

happymanoftheworld

happymanoftheworld

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
You have to register with the Council assessors to pay council tax - call your field a name. The assessors will however visit you at the "address" and you will need to show them (I think) a place ...... perhaps you could arrange an appointment, move a 2 berth caravan on that morning and back out after appointment! Most times the assessors and council tax people don't communicate with planners - different departments - although there is no guarantees.
There are more knowledgable people than me on the forum though.

surreydodger

surreydodger

Agricultural Planning Advisory Service

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts
  • LocationWest Sussex
I phoned my local council and spoke with the Administrive Officer, Building Services. Once I'd emailed them a map of my land they issued me a postcode within a few days,, free!

happymanoftheworld

happymanoftheworld

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

I phoned my local council and spoke with the Administrive Officer, Building Services. Once I'd emailed them a map of my land they issued me a postcode within a few days,, free!

Hi SD - isn't building services a bit close to planning for comfort? :o

surreydodger

surreydodger

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts
  • LocationWest Sussex
Possibly HappyMan but knowing the inadequacies of beaurocracy, I suspect you'd be safe :)

Cornish Gems

Cornish Gems

Lord and Lady of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts
  • LocationCornwall (formerly Devon)
Hi - all the different parcels of land that we looked at had been given postcodes by the estate agents. So we just gave our fields a name and then ordered items for delivery. Only one idiot (from Interlink Express) went past us and that was because he was driving TOO fast!! When we were concerned about Royal Mail, we just went to the Sorting Office and he said 'no probs - will make sure any mail reaches you at that address'.

LordDayus

LordDayus

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
Hi All

Thanks for all the replies. I am going to contact the council as suggested because if you do not get a proper address from them, it will never appear on any database.

I will let you know how I get on.

Kind regards

Lord Dayus

LordDayus

LordDayus

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
I spoke to the lady who deals with "Streetsigns and Names" today. She had never been asked this before, she issues postcodes etc. for new builds, but she said she needed to go away and get some advice from a colleague.

She asked for my planning application number, so I gave her the PAN for when we had full planning for our stables.

When she comes back to me, I will update you all.

Kind regards

Lord Dayus

LordDayus

LordDayus

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
Well then! They are such clever people at the la.

I spoke to Liz again today and she informs me I cannot have an address unless I occupy the land. Royal Mail will not issue a postcode or sub code (house name or number) unless the premises is occupied. If a postman drives by and sees it vacant he will report it and they will delete the address.

Seems odd to me, but I am about to call Royal Mail as she said her hands were tied and I need to take it up with them?

Will let you know what happens.

Lord Dayus

surreydodger

surreydodger

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts
  • LocationWest Sussex
Do you have any buildings atall at your farm Daryus?

If so, and I say this without full knowledge, then you are running your business to which requires the delivery of post. It maybe you have to provide a small office space to enable you to keep your farm records.

There is also the consternation that your council officer has not considered how do commercial buildings gain a postcode, as they too are not permanently occupied.

happymanoftheworld

happymanoftheworld

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
Hi LD - I would still refer you to my posting about council assessor - I had them out and I received a postcode from that. The royal mail use the assessors lists. It puts you on the electoral post-out list. Good luck

LordDayus

LordDayus

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
OK HMOTW, I will give that a go next!

Thanks for the nudge!

Lord Dayus

che

che

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationSHROPSHIRE
Hi Lord Dayus,
Suspect if you have buildings you are entitled to an address, How else do police, fire and emergency services find you in an emergency. Not to mention deliveries and utilitiy bills.
This topic has come up before, we adopted this stance, we found the nearest postcode put up a sign and sent our self some mail. Our much maligned posties are a resourceful bunch and soon found uis. We now recieve mail from planners and the rating dept as well as other mail we have redirected. Good job we did not contact The Street Naming and Numbering Team (grand title) who obviously have not got a clue.
Another good place for cuts would anybody notice there demise just tell the builders to talk to the GPO "jobs a good un".
Dave C
che

LordDayus

LordDayus

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
Apologies for the delay! It has been manic at work

Thanks DaveC for that, I will make a fancy sign, install a lockable post box at the entrance and send some test mail.

I will let you know what happens. I haven't forgot the photo either, I will give you a call next week.

Thanks

LordDayus

Edgar

Edgar

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Did your test mail arrive? I have tried something similar and couriers deliver but not yet via the post office.

ukhuckleberrys

ukhuckleberrys

Chick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Did your test mail arrive? I have tried something similar and couriers deliver but not yet via the post office.

I have a post box and address and a post code the postman told me he's ok with it but has been told not to post there.
I have just email royal mail to ask then why and what I need to do to sort it As I see it if some one has paid for a stamp and the post box is there surly they are obliged to post it. Im sure any couier would??? let you know how I get on

Cornish Gems

Cornish Gems

Lord and Lady of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts
  • LocationCornwall (formerly Devon)

I have a post box and address and a post code the postman told me he's ok with it but has been told not to post there.
I have just email royal mail to ask then why and what I need to do to sort it As I see it if some one has paid for a stamp and the post box is there surly they are obliged to post it. Im sure any couier would??? let you know how I get on

The old ways do not work any longer. In 2008 the Royal Mail in association with the Local Councils decided that they would no longer be accepting addresses from individuals, all addresses now have to be registered with the local council this will cost you anything between £40 and £60 dependent upon your local council.

We initially had mail delivered for 5 months then it stopped because of a complaint made by a neighbour that we did not have a registered address and so we would need to register the address with the council if we wished to accept mail delivered by Royal Mail. However, our experiences so far have been that we manage extremely well without Royal Mail (7 months so far). One of the best things is that we do not get any spam mail whatsoever and so far any important body has used something like Parcel Force (yep - what a laugh that gave us) and other reasonable couriers who wanted the business we could provide for them.

JASPER

JASPER

Duckling

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
Hi, got our address confirmed last week.Cost was £100.00.It seems the council don't like issuing them unless you give them a hard time.Firstly they remarked, no dwelling ,no address, i then asked him who lived in the council offices, no one he replied,right so its not a dwelling but you seem to have an address, are yes i get your point .Next they told me i didn't meet the correct criteria, I then asked them to confirm in writting they were happy to be liable for any issues when the fire brigade or the ambulance couldn't find us in an emergency.Working on the land can be dangerous.
I then had a letter confirming they would register our address , the fee would be £100.00.It does seem they have to notify the land registry, the post office, the council revenue dept,emergancy services etc.They also sent a letter to the parish council confirming my intensions!
I did have bills from the water and Electric which i guess would of helped my case.
Just keep on there case, they will give up in the end.

Groundhog

Groundhog

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Hi, got our address confirmed last week.Cost was £100.00.It seems the council don't like issuing them unless you give them a hard time.Firstly they remarked, no dwelling ,no address, i then asked him who lived in the council offices, no one he replied,right so its not a dwelling but you seem to have an address, are yes i get your point .Next they told me i didn't meet the correct criteria, I then asked them to confirm in writting they were happy to be liable for any issues when the fire brigade or the ambulance couldn't find us in an emergency.Working on the land can be dangerous.
I then had a letter confirming they would register our address , the fee would be £100.00.It does seem they have to notify the land registry, the post office, the council revenue dept,emergancy services etc.They also sent a letter to the parish council confirming my intensions!
I did have bills from the water and Electric which i guess would of helped my case.
Just keep on there case, they will give up in the end.

Nice respnse to their remarks ;)