Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

how easy is it to get agricutural land changed and what about travellers

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

justdoit

justdoit

Chick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationspalding
I have some land that i am planting trees on and i am saying they are for bio fuels, some of which are and a lot of which i just want to keep cos they look nice :). But what if i try later when the trees have grown a bit get it changed to leisure. To teach kids about bio diverity and how to plant trees and wot not. I wonder if that would be looked on favourably by planners.
Then thinking ahead again what if once its changed to leisure, the kids are a bit annoying and i try to get planning for a house :rolleyes:
Can people let me know what they think of this idea..... be honest, even call me crazy.

have a good day !!

happymanoftheworld

happymanoftheworld

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
I think that it is an excellent idea ----- if you can get the schools on board and get them to pay a nominal fee per child to prove business income ---- however there has to be toilets and wash facilities (port-a-loo??) and, most important, insurance. Good luck!! :rolleyes:

justdoit

justdoit

Chick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationspalding
Ah yeah, good point. Maybe push for a scout hut with facilities. I have heard about developers that get permissions for large house building schemes easier when they do something like build a school nearby for free.
If i show i am intended to provide a service for the area maybe long term im in for a shot of getting planning. Yeah insurance, probably have to make sure there isnt a single stinging nettle anywhere.
Shame i would still have to show an income even when its leisure too, thats the hardest part as they dont take into account what i am earning through haveing the land while doing my tree surgery, saves me a fortune. Running it as a yard for tree surgery it would easily pass the amount needed to build, as its off site where i earn the real money it makes them have the opportunity to say i could do that job anywhere. Even the logs i store on the land havent come from trees on the land. If i was to sell the logs i could make the minimum amount to build, but i dont think it would count.

thanks happy man!

happymanoftheworld

happymanoftheworld

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
Just a thought ---- could you maybe use the land for storing large logs and doing chainsaw art..... and showing children how to do it alongside the biodiversity plan..... maybe even burr elm tables. Don't know if it would by itself go a long way with planners but it could be a good add-on. Being a musician and handless ---- well that's what I would be - a handless musician!!!!! :P

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
Showing children how to do chainsaw art :lol: love to see the insurance bill for that one , at least there would be no need for a hand basin/ wash facility

che

che

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationSHROPSHIRE
Hi Justdoit,
Dont give up on the teaching idea there is insurance out there, it is not cheap but teaching/education/courses can be good earners. At present we are working towards the CEVAS course to deliver farm visits. This i am led to believe can lead to Higher Leval Stewardships scheme and a guaranteed payment of £500 and then £100 per visit. You would need to confirm this as we were informed on the course of this scheme but did not take too much notice as we do not intend to join the scheme.
Regarding scout camps they are an exempted group and can use your land without you needing a site license.
The CEVAS course will take you through risk assesments and we have purchased a H&S compliant Portaloo. Things are never as bad as the Daily Mail would have you think.

Dave C
che

justdoit

justdoit

Chick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationspalding
Hi happy man

funny you should say burr elm tables, took down a great big elm full of burr wood, whole trunk was like a lions main of burr .Only problem was it was leaning over a bungalow and we couldnt get any lifting gear near it so i had to cut the whole thing into manageable blocks. So small tables but nice ones:)

Loads of things i could and do do with the land, and i do like chainsaw art and im good at it.

lol, yeah its harmless armless fun kids!

justdoit

justdoit

Chick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationspalding
Anyway thanks dave, shep and happy man. I do wonder if leisure is easier to get planning on than agri land though. It might be easier to just say im a traveller they seem to get left alone quite often round here, lots of little camps. Just the stigma attached to being a traveller, no one likes em cos a lot of em thieve.

have a great day!

happymanoftheworld

happymanoftheworld

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
:D

Showing children how to do chainsaw art :lol: love to see the insurance bill for that one , at least there would be no need for a hand basin/ wash facility

:D :D :D Max Bygraves - "You need hands"??? :D :D :D

Cornish Gems

Cornish Gems

Lord and Lady of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts
  • LocationCornwall (formerly Devon)
Don't forget that there are certain groups (scouts etc) which you can have camping on your land without any licence. And you already have the wood for the camp fire!
In certain cases there are very fine dividing lines as to where 'leisure' begins.

huck fin

huck fin

Chick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Is this a field to farm forum or B.N.P site for Biggots ??

happymanoftheworld

happymanoftheworld

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
Hi Huck fin - I can see what you are saying, nothing whatsoever to do with bigotry, the laws AND the internal advice to police on race relations have been changed recently to actually favour travellers whilst the non-travellers face obstacles. That IS a fact - and I have quite a few travellers AND real romany people as friends.

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
Hi huck fin

I had a traveller friend in an adjacent field to me 5 years ago , he applied to stay there for 6 months a year and travel in the summer months to work, the local snobs hated the fact that he and his wife +8 kids with 3 caravans were left the field by an old guy ( i presume to p**s them off)they kept up a relentless campaign to get him off the land , in the end it went to court and the judge ruled in his favour and granted him a licence to stay on the land for 6 months of the year until his youngest was 16 years old , he was only one at the time, they came to us in disbelief , i thought it was the funniest thing i had heard in a long time .

Yes the place was a little scruffy but no worse than any modern farm ,lovely people and that is what counts , don`t tar them all with the same brush ,they only wanted to live on their land as we all do, but then there is the others who dont care at all , point the finger at them and please dont post stupid comments about being a B.N.P site for biggots .

justdoit

justdoit

Chick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationspalding
hi,i can understand its frustrating being classed as a thief because you are a traveller but a lot of it goes on, and they even thieve from each other. But we have had so much stolen and we have cammerers, its not as though we dont know who it is. Unfortunately the good travellers are getting a rough time because of the bad ones of which in my area there are many!

Anyway i will try not to go near this subject again unless i have to show the road of common sense to anyone that disagrees with me! lol

Have a good day! and i apologise to all the good travellers