Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

renting a house close to one's land

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

sodbuster

sodbuster

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
He reader.I have a question regarding permitted development.I am inches away from securing some land.It is looking very promising.And amazingly a house has come up for rent one field away from the said land.It will be for me my wife and my mother.Is this renter to close foe comfort? Dave has said that planners can't have it all their own way in that a new farmer could not afford high rent etc I would like to take the renter on for 6 months.Apply for the barn in month 1 and move onto the land in month 6.My worry is that the planners will question whether i need to live on my land as the house is so close? I thought to be sure i could take out the renter in my mothers name and not my own. Am i worrying for nothing I will know about the land and the house this Tuesday.Any comments are most welcome.

Sodbuster

Groundhog

Groundhog

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
Without wanting too much info if your mother is not moving onto the land with you,and the rental agreement is indeed in her name,you would be only staying with her as she is your mum ! Also if you have a current address before you move get the post office to redirect for 6 or even 12 months so any communication you have with planners will be sent to your old address,but they wont know that if you see what I mean.

che

che

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationSHROPSHIRE
Difficult to comment without knowing what happens to the house you are considering renting after the 6 months.

If given up it could come up for rent whilst you are putting in your planning application causing you a problem. What happens if a nosey neighbour finds out what you are doing and uses it against you. Could easily affect your credibility with locals,planners & appeal judges. I would tread with care on this one.

As Derek O commented we probably need a little more info on this one.

Good Luck with the land it is a big part of the battle.

Dave C
che

sodbuster

sodbuster

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Good thinking Derek.Just what i was thinking.Also regarding my mother moving onto the land,i will have to gently persuade my wife on that subject-may be difficult. My brainwave was to get on the land (me and my wife) for the 3 years,get the permission for the house and during this 3 year period my mum could stay in the renter and then move in with us.It will cost money on the 3 years rent but may be worth it if we get the permission.
The land owner(the owner at present) lives close by and so will know our every move.I don't know whether this rented house that is so close is a blessing or not but i am leaning to renting it in my mothers name.What do you think?

Sodbuster

sodbuster

sodbuster

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Thanks for that DaveC. Its a puzzler knowing what to do.Perhaps i will have to live away from the land.

Sodbuster

happymanoftheworld

happymanoftheworld

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
Problem with that is that if you live away from the land the powers that be then say as you have managed to do the business living away then you have no need to live there.... I think you would be making a rod for your own back. Good luck.

surreydodger

surreydodger

Agricultural Planning Advisory Service

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts
  • LocationWest Sussex
Hi Sodbuster,

In the first instance of living on your land whilst following the F2F route, there is no consideration given to locally available premises/dwellings.

The second instance, when you wish to live on your land in relation to functionality, will be the time when available houses in the area would be considered. If it were me, I'd be timing my application for the agricultural dwelling when I know the nearby house is rented.

Somewhere on the forum, I'm sure Dave A. has spoken of a time frame of when dwellings are to be considered as 'available'. From memory I think its something like a 28 day period around the time of your application but please search this a bit further.

sodbuster

sodbuster

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Thanks surrydodger.I am looking at house tomorow.Also seeing the land owner.He wants to go thru a few things? before he accepts my offer.Will keep you posted.Big day tommorow

Thank's

Sodbuster

che

che

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationSHROPSHIRE
Hi all

Assuming that we are looking at private rented accomadation and this is almost allways on short term assured tenancies that only last for 6 mths, does this mean we could argue against considering them as there sustainability can not be proven. I am assuming that the original agricultural workers dwellings rules were drawn up long before assured short hold tenancies were concieved. To rent a property that can be withdrawn at a months notice is not I would suggest a sound business decision. Unlike other tenants who could consider properties further afield we are constrained by our tie to the land and livestock.
Regarding social housing it would appear to be impossible to penetrate the waiting lists unless you are unintentionally homeless, a single mum or an asylum seeker. I suspect I have more chance of winning the lottery.

Dave C
che

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
Hi Sodbuster

Good luck for tomorrow , i have not heard of a landowner wanting to go through a few things before accepting a offer ???.
Sounds like he either wants to know what you are up to or wants to make more money out of you somehow , sound like say nothing would be your best option here , i bet he trys the friendly banter option to try and draw out of you what you are planning :unsure: i know nothing / never thaught of that .

sodbuster

sodbuster

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Thank's Shepie and everyone for all of the great comments.I got half way to Devon this morning to see the land owner at 1 oclock to go thru some details This would be my 3rd meeting with him..My wife phoned me en-route saying the agent had phoned with some problems.It turns out that the owner needed more time to decide what to do as he was considering placing covenants on the land after having received advice!!!
Perhaps he suspected something perhaps not.I think like a lot of sellers he wanted the money but also wanted control of the land.This is allways the problem when buying off someone who is selling off land and staying put on the next plot.
I have been looking for land for a year and this is another blow.I have been down this road before.It takes up a lot of time but i do believe something will turn up.By the way if any-one see's any suitable land in North Devon please let me know. Dave am i allowed to put my tel no here? 01453-759285.
Thank's again

sodbuster

happymanoftheworld

happymanoftheworld

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
Hi Sodbuster - perhaps I am too paranoid but I would be tempted to say "email me please on the site" simply because as I said in a previous post the enforcement officers have instructions to look at internet sites..... SOME of the planners have time on their hands and if they see your number it wouldn't be difficult for the Devon planners to narrow you down and make life awkward (well, MORE awkward) - Good luck.

Groundhog

Groundhog

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
Hi Sodbuster please check your personal messages regards derek

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
When it comes to buying land just say nothing to anyone , that goes for the agent also, as he will pass what you say on to the vendor , grazing for horses etc is a good one as you will already be paying an inflated price for a small piece of land , i would not contemplate buying land with any restriction , would you buy a house which someone else has a say in ? i doubt it .

Romany

Romany

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
Hi Sodbuster and everyone who has replied to this thread, it has been really useful because I was also contemplating renting close to my land (I currently live about 30 miles from my land). I never considered the implications of doing so until reading this thread. I guess will now have to think again :unsure:.

Romany

happymanoftheworld

happymanoftheworld

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
Whatever you do DON'T rent close to your land - don't rent at all if possible - councils really don't like the publicity of making you homeless.... if you have somewhere it is very difficult. B)