Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

hard tracks - do I need Planning Permission

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

brokenspade

brokenspade

Chick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi

I have 2 acres, shortly to be increased to 3.5, not a lot but something, my question is do i need planning permission to put in a hard track/road through my field to get access to feed shed etc. In the winter it could prove a problem getting accross it without the use of the tractor.

many thanks

surreydodger

surreydodger

Agricultural Planning Advisory Service

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts
  • LocationWest Sussex
Hi Brokenspade,

You do not have to apply for planning permission but you would have to put in for permitted developement approval. You would come under Schedule 2, Part 6, Class B (units more than 0.4 hectare but under 5 hectares) of the GPDO of 1995.

If any part of the development is within 25 mtrs of a highway (classified A, B, C or D) then it will need to go for full planning permission. I think it also has to be more than 5 mtrs from the boundary of any neighbouring land as well.

Romany

Romany

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

If any part of the development is within 25 mtrs of a highway (classified A, B, C or D) then it will need to go for full planning permission. I think it also has to be more than 5 mtrs from the boundary of any neighbouring land as well.

For a TRACK? Seems a bit excessive to me. I was pondering a similar thing because my land is accessible only by driving onto the neighbouring farmer's land for about 20m before reaching my gate (I have right of way for any and all vehicles); however as the soil is predominantly clay, when the weather is wet I often get stuck at the point where it joins the main highway (a B road). I was going to ask the farmer if we could put down hardcore or something like the farmtrak system (and cover over with soil) - does this mean we would need to apply for fpp just to ensure we can get back onto the road?! Admittedly the farmer doesn't really need this as he only uses tractors - which, thinking about it, is probably why I get stuck with my car! :sad:
Romany

surreydodger

surreydodger

Agricultural Planning Advisory Service

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts
  • LocationWest Sussex
Hi Romany,

Yes, it does seem a bit excessive but that is how the regs are put :(

If you just put a bit of brick rubble in the bits where you get stuck, ideally just the wheel lines, you are not likely get any come back. That is not a gauranteed bit of advice but because the works are so minor, I have seen it argued that such works do not amount to anything more than minor works which seem to have some status in not requiring planning.

If you do choose this way of addressing the problem, then try and keep the visual impact to an absolute minimum and cover any hardcore/rubble/stone with a bit of soil to prevent it being noticed.

Otherwise, it is a full track by way of the regs.

Good luck whichever way you chooose.

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
Hi Romany

If you have 5ha or more i am sure you can put in a pd notice to lay a track , all you need to do is state you will strip of and stor /use the top soil , lay down some terram / membrane and then cover with 6 " of 75mm crush and run .