Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Animal Welfare Act 2006

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

surreydodger

surreydodger

Agricultural Planning Advisory Service

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts
  • LocationWest Sussex
Following on from Mil's thread regarding hardy, low maintenance animals (Here ), I have spent a moment reading the Animal Welfare Act - 2006 (Full Document ).

I haven't read it in its entireity yet but from what I have, the jist is that if you keep animals (farm, pet or whatever) then you are wholly responsible for their welfare. Nothing really new in that alone but the Act makes it quite clear that if you do not take every reasonable step to ensure the well being of your animals, then you are prosecutable.

In the Act ( 4- Unnecessary suffering. (1)( b.) ) it states
A person commits an offence if he knew, or ought reasonably to have known, that the act, or failure to act, would have that effect or be likely to do so.
This lends some weight to the argument that by living on site with your animals you can offer the best form of care whilst they are in your charge.

Look at this the other way around. If you do not live on site, are you providing your animals with the best possible care? Obviously not, if by living on site would provide them with a better standard of welfare.

The Act in its entireity is loong and tedious like most legal decrees but it is worth scanning through the first half or so for a lot of useful legal titbits that can be added in to your planning arguments for living on your land whilst working it with animals.

As the Act expects pets to be treated as farm animals, I'm sure there is a host of debates to be contemplated from that :)

Romany

Romany

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
Hi please could another of the mods 'bookmark' this link as I don't recall seeing it in that forum. Not sure how to do the job myself!
Thanks!

Romany