Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

TAX EXEMPT VEHICLES

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

che

che

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationSHROPSHIRE
Hi Dave.  Does the vehicle have to be a Landrover or could it be any sort of pickup/van.  DVLA site puts a restriction of 1.5km between sites is that correct or are they like the planners being economical with the truth?  Considering how long I have been stuck behind tractors in the past 1.5km is a long way.
  Could I use such a vehicle to go to agicultural merchants/livestock market and how about delivering veg boxes or free range eggs?

Guest_Dave_*

Guest_Dave_*
  • Guests
Hi I am not sure what vehicles could be classed as an agricultural vehicle the reason it has got more confusing is more and more people using 4x4 with crew cabs. I have never heard of this mileage limitation before i am sure if your journey is reasonably necessary for your agricultural needs then it would be allowable. I am pretty sure that this limit is only advisory i have never heard of it in law.

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
Hi Dave c

I think you will find tractors are tax exempt when running on red deisel and being used for agricultural purposed and a limitation of no more than 15 miles round trip a day .

As for other vehicles such as landrovers i think it has more to do with age rather than type, as in pre 1970 ish series 1 and 11 landy`s are tax exempt although in both cases you still need insurance and a tax disc which is free at you local P .O

There are several companies that do tractor insurance although you have to be carefull as the cheaper vintage lot will not cover you for agricultural use and vice versa.

Shepie

Guest_Dave_*

Guest_Dave_*
  • Guests
Hi i think there maybe some confusion over the taxation class i am talking about agricultural vehicles and this can include tractors, unimogs and other vehicles such as landrovers. Under this taxation class the vehicle would not require road tax or an mot and could run on red diesel regardless of its age.

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
Hi Dave

I only know that tractors whatever their use if they go on a road have to be taxed ,i did mine yesterday ,all you need is a v5 and a valid insurance and they give you 12 months tax free  :)

shepie

che

che

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationSHROPSHIRE
Thanks to all who responded if you google "agricultural vehicles exempt from tax* and scroll down to agricultural vehicle registration  arbtalk. This blog is even more confusing perhaps no one knows?  Suspect the limited use section is relatively new legislation to curb farm abuse.  Keep the replies coming thanks

Ty Unnos

Ty Unnos

Goose

• Book Owners
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationNorth Wales - hunting for land!
Hi All

I think this is the relevant bit of legislation:

http://direct.gov.uk...asses/DG_069649

It seems to me that a Tractor can travel on public roads as long as it is for the purpose of agriculture.

But a land rover / truck / van would only seem to fit into the 'Limited use vehicles' category.

This does seem to have a 1.5 km restriction.

che

che

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationSHROPSHIRE
Hi all    the document from the previous post does appear to be the latest available however an appeal recently accepted Fast Track tractors are tractors although they exceed the 25mph limit.  It would appear to be a fluid situation

che

che

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationSHROPSHIRE
Hi anyone considering registering a quad as an agricultural vehicle should note it would be illegal to carry a passenger. Have thought long and hard to why such a stipulation would be added.  The only one I could come up with is it is to stop farmers moonlighting as a taxi service or perhaps the law really is an ass.  DAVE C

Guest_Damoruss_*

Guest_Damoruss_*
  • Guests
Hi All,

Just wanted to put down my experience with agri vehicles.  As far as I'm aware the 1.5km distance is to do with the radius your allowed to travel on an agri vehicle that is using RED diesel.  And that distance is from the location the vehicles starts from.  So if you transported your tractor to another farm 200 miles away you'd have that 1.5km radius from there not the farm it's registered to.  With regards to agri vehicle running on normal diesel are unlead or lpg then the distance is unlimited.  You just can't go on motorways.  Agri vehicles are tax free and don't need an MOT.  Not sure how you go about registering your vehicle as agri anymore.  Last time I did it was ten years ago and I did 5 quads at once.  They never asked if I had land I just told them that what I wanted them register as that.  Which they did gladly, while taking my money  ;)  That weekend me and my mates took are quads out and ended up driving round manchester in the early hours.  All of use had passengers.  We did get stopped by traffic.  But once they checked details.  Realised they were agri vehicle and insured they were happy.  So not sure why now it's illegal to carry passengers.

Anyway just my experiences

Damian

matt

matt

Chick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi There
A tractor is allowed to travel on the road on red diesel any distance providing it is running within the gross weight limit of 24 tonnes. That is total load, ie tractor trailer and load. This is allowed providing the tractor is involed within the harvesting operation. where it becomes a bit of a grey area is that you are allowed to fetch products, ie stone, but it has to be for your own agri business.

with the exempt 4x4 or what ever vehicle, it is as other have said on here,when you change it to agri it is 1.5km radius from the base farm. if you wish to go further you haveto have a taxed and tested vehicle running on derv.

che

che

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationSHROPSHIRE
Hi All    Just been on www.fwi.co.uk who have some interesting articles on red diesel usage on agricultural vehicles accessed by using their search facility.  DAVE C

Groundhog

Groundhog

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
Hope this helps have spent 5 months rangling with dvla to change my Diahatsu 4trac from plg to Agricultural,wanted to class it as a tractor so no limitations on mileage,removed passenger seat so as single seat,sent them photos of it with a fertilizer spreader on the back,insurance from NFU stating it was a tractor and explained that limited use was not sufficient as it worked on a 500 acre estate and needed to travel on the roads to get to land not connected to the estate.They would only give me limited use which still enables me to run on red diesel and mot exempt,it meets all the critiria of section 11.1 Agricultural Machine but they are not having it,so can only technicaly travel 1.5kms.I wonder if you were stopped by the police if they would know ? It wouldnt come up on a vehicle recognition camera as being untaxed

che

che

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationSHROPSHIRE
Hi all theprevious post on this tupic by Derek O is an indication that the authorities are using the "limited use classification" to prevent people registering as agricultural vehicles.  Well done for pushing this to the limit, it sounds like an agricultural vehicle to me.  Looks like we will have to stick to tractors or quads.