Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

5 year rule

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

barrymoore

barrymoore

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
HI Dave,
I have today met wiht a land consultant, to gain information and discuss the idea of living on my land. All that I described about how I was going to do it she agreed to, the only one she seemed unsure about is living on the land for upto 5 years while building the barn! she thinks that they will ask you to leave after a reasonable time to build the barn say 6 months to a year but not 5 years. Is there a way to answer this question, and can they just request you to move off the land once they have decided that you have had long enough to build the barn?

regards Derek

Guest_Dave_*

Guest_Dave_*
  • Guests
Hi
The best answer for this if asked,is tell them that you are using the income earned from the holding to fund the build, as they will repeatedly tell you at all stages that you cannot make a living from your holding then it is hardly likely to be a fast build. They may try to enforce to get you moved off the land then you appeal, the inspector would give you at least a year to complete the build. The whole process would normally take between 3-5 years which should give you ample time to get the business well underway.

Regards Dave

greenmeadow

greenmeadow

Goose

• Book Owners
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Hi
The best answer for this if asked,is tell them that you are using the income earned from the holding to fund the build, as they will repeatedly tell you at all stages that you cannot make a living from your holding then it is hardly likely to be a fast build. They may try to enforce to get you moved off the land then you appeal, the inspector would give you at least a year to complete the build. The whole process would normally take between 3-5 years which should give you ample time to get the business well underway.

Regards Dave

Hi,
If I build a barn half the permitted development size can I extend my time on the land by building a second barn?
Regards,
Greenmeadow

Guest_Dave_*

Guest_Dave_*
  • Guests
Hi
Yes this is possible, however the planners might have an objection to you building two buildings (which would still be within the pd size)when you could build just one, you would need to think up a good reason.

Regards Dave