Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Living with Horses

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

Sapphire

Sapphire

Goose

• Book Owners
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationHertfordshire
Hi

I've noticed that quite of lot of horse owners are trying to live on their land. There is hope, I've managed to do just that.

My land is in the AONB and has an Article 4 direction on it.

I also have had some stiff opposition from the planning department, planning committee and my neighbours. To make things worse one of my neighbours was on the planning committee and although he had to declare an interest at the meetings and wasn't allowed to vote, clearly he was able to influence his fellow members.

Needless to say my initial applications were refused and I had to go to Appeal (4 in total) where at least you get an impartial inspector from outside the area.

At Appeal one of my neighbours even went to the expense of hiring his own solicitor to assist the Council's solicitor.

At Appeal I got permission for a mobile log cabin (which I bought on Ebay) for a temporary period (3 years) and at the outset I had stated that once I had proven my livery business, I would need to replace it with a permanent home, rather than keep the log cabin as a permanent dwelling.

All the battles took place gaining permission for the temporary dwelling. Once I'd gained permission for that, for which I had to prove functional need, it was simple by comparison to get permission for the permanent house (and the log cabin went back on Ebay), as I was able to pass the financial test (showing profit 1 year out of 3). I didn't have to go to Appeal this time.

I now live in my dream house, but I'd like to do it all again, and I'm interested in trying Dave's method, although I'll never get rid of my dream place. I can't understand why anyone would want to considering the effort that it takes to achieve it.

Best Wishes