Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

energy production

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

penwith

penwith

Chick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello everyone
with the recent introduction of the "feed-in tariff" I have started to mull over ideas which could include renewable electricity generation into my business plan. I am looking at micro-hydro but the same thing goes for wind turbines.

My criteria are pretty rigid. The site is below 5 hectares so I'm facing a planning application to get the barn under way. It is also in an AONB. I am also hoping to keep all of my developments as "low-impact" ones.

My questions are these

1. will it help my planning application for the barn if I incorporate the renewable energy plans in with it?

2. can I count the profits from the electricity generated and add them to those I make from agricultural means to help with the financial viability of the business?

I'm thinking small-scale for myself but some folks may have a suitable site for a half-decent wind-farm...?

Look forward to reading your thoughts on this.

Simon

surreydodger

surreydodger

Agricultural Planning Advisory Service

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts
  • LocationWest Sussex
Hi Simon and welcome :)

I don't think having less than 5 hectares will make much difference in regards to your green energy plans. However, being in an AONB is likely to pose a few hurdles. I'm not up on planning law regarding such but it seems that getting anything in an AONB is always uphill. I'd hazard a guess you'd stand more chance of some form of micro-hydro but you'd be amazed at the amount of water flow needed to get a reasonable wattage, let alone spare capacity to sell on.

If you are south facing, Photovoltaic cells may give you something but as with most green energy, you are reliant on the weather.

As to adding any profits from your electric generation, I feel it ought to be allowable but I doubt the planners will see it that way. As they tend to only include agricultural earnings, it is hard to see them including electricity generation. Still, I would look to make sure I had enough earnings from other more conventional revenues and then add the electricity earnings on top. You never know your luck until you try it :)

I doubt very much that your barn using green energy will make any difference to the planners view of your application. Worth mentioning in your design statement where it at least shows goood intent but planners will judge your application on need and justification over anything else.

GL with your project and always keep searching for the way to succeed :)

che

che

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationSHROPSHIRE
DaveHi Simon
Might be worth checking out your council's AGENDA 21 policy. as you could end up with a carbon neutral site. However I would agree with the last post that the planners are unlikely to see windmills etc as structures of Outstanding Natural Beauty !!!
Dave
che