Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Business plans - Help!!!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Eve

Eve

Goose

• Book Owners
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Would anyone who has submitted and achieved their 3 year temp be willing to let me look at a copy of their business plan? I'm currently drowning in a sea of numbers and paperwork in the rush to get it done before the accountant and planning consultant check it over for me in a couple of weeks!
Our plan is to apply for prior notification for barn, then when granted immediately submit 3 year temp, we want it all ready to go before Christmas shut down.
We have been umming and erring about which route to take (mostly because every barn in our area seems to be achieving permission for change of use to a dwelling! So was thinking about full planning instead of prior notification, to possibly give us more options in the future... Hopefull the planning consultant will help with that decision!)
On side note, 14 months after purchasing our bit of grass, we now have what might resemble the start of a farm! Local support has been great, all work takes 50 X longer than we ever expect and everything is 50 X more expensive than ever we expect! Our head count is up to about 60 chooks, 2 boars, 9 sows, about 40 growers, 16 sheep and 4 hidden horses!
Xx

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
Hi Eve
If you submit a business plan you have to stick with it for the 3 years , so using someone's won't wirk unless it's the same idea as yours
Your consultant should be doing this with you really if it's just numbers you need , your current numbers are about 400 man hours ( you need 2200)
That will change if you add in all the piglets/ wearers etc , you also get 25% added on for maintenance / office work
You need to start with year 3 = enough animals to get to 1 worker then fill in between then and now showing what you are going to have each year
If that makes sence :-)

Eve

Eve

Goose

• Book Owners
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Thanks Shepie,
We have almost finished our financial figures, SMD calculations and forecasts. I just wanted an idea on how to present our data, what things people include (or not!) and how in depth we needed to go.
Although we have referred to John Nix, we have found that is impossible to base a traditional farm on an intensively run enterprise, which the John Nix book seems to refer to.
Some of the plans I have looked at (based on local successful 3 yr temp applications) have vastly changed from the original plans, some are barely recognisable, yet all have succeeded in achieving perminant residency. I'm not sure which way my business will head, it has already changed direction, I just know it will involve pigs predominately, who buys them and how we sell them will depend on what part of our plan is successful and what opportunities come our way!
Xx

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
A