Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Growing Christmas trees

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Phae

Phae

Duckling

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationCornwall
Hi guys,
I have been reading a book and articles about growing Christmas trees, Nordman Firs. We would want to do it without all the chemicals. I have read they don't like salt and was wondering what experience other people had with using seaweed with them as a mulch and a soil conditioner. We have an allotment here in Cornwall and use a lot of seaweed as the soil is quite clay in places and pretty stony too! Great results with fruit and veg, but don't want to kill off the Firs.We also have chickens and friends with alpacas, so plenty of manure to dig in too.
Thanks!

bramblebasher

bramblebasher

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 509 posts

Phae if you've done well with fruit trees then I think you'll do great with Firs! Conifers are some of the hardiest trees around, manure the soil, ph it, put down landscape fabric if your not fancying the weeding, cut a small cross (or better yet use a blow torch to make a hole in it,) plant your baby tree and off you go. These are some of the least fussy organisms on the planet. 

adrian007

adrian007

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

what PH do they like? we are about 5.5 mostly

bramblebasher

bramblebasher

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 509 posts

Anywhere between 5 and 6.5 is going to grow you a good tree. Ideal ph levels for each specific species lies somewhere within these levels. 

Adrian you are bang on with your soil PH. 

Hope it's all going well for you.

Phae

Phae

Duckling

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationCornwall
Thank you! Phae

adrian007

adrian007

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Hi BB

Yes, planted 1000 willows from a neighbours tree trimmings a few weeks back... could have crried on, but lost faith (that is. I lost sufficient faith to not want to go out in gails and horizontal rain.

Anyway, the dog knocked one out over the weekend and it has roots! And, some of the trimmings were rooting just from the ground... so another 300 in yesterday and more later in the week after my current employers have 'terminated' me, which looks on the cards for the end of the tax year! Ho hum, it's an ill wind!

bramblebasher

bramblebasher

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 509 posts

Nature is just amazing innit. Each cell of a plant holding the capability of turning into an entire new plant! Willows are notoriously willing to live, incredible to see those roots appearing from the bark. 

Tissue culture is amazing, they take a plant leaf/branch, whizz it up with agar solution then put it under ideal conditions, the slurry then turns into thousands and thousands of plants.

This year I plan on setting up a large aeroponic cutting rooter, agar culture is beyond me at this point and probably left to the labs.

Sorry to hear you've been terminated Adrian!