Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Big temporary shed whilst building the barn

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Phae

Phae

Duckling

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationCornwall
Hi guys,
I have lots of questions, but I 'll tackle one at a time over the next few weeks!

Firstly, what did you do about having somewhere to store animal feed, machinery etc before you got the go ahead to build your barn or while you were building it? Because I know it is rare to get PD go ahead on bare fields with just a business plan, so we would be planning to at least start on the smallholding before putting the notice in, but that would require some inside storage space.
Also, it would take us a couple of years to build the barn so we will need it for that period too.
Would something like a big shed (double garage size? Or is that too big?) be acceptable as it is a temporary structure? I know there are size limits for garden sheds/garages but that is within the curtailage of a house, so doesn't apply here.
Thanks in advance for your advice. Phae

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the deep south west
20ft shipping container…is a must have..it mobile, in the fact it can be moved with a lorry or forklift

and you can get some good security locks for them

rent or buy….i wish i had two..but my land wouldn't have supported two at the time

Sunnysouthdevon

Sunnysouthdevon

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Do you rent or own your container John?

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
rent..but will buy it later…rent will allow tax deduction...

Phae

Phae

Duckling

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Thanks for the replies! No offence, as I know a lot of people like shipping containers but we are really more 'wood' type people and would much prefer something more shed-like. Are they our only option? Phae

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
Mobile field shelter or anything on skids
We built a 4x2 frame and covered it in tyvec supro membrane and screwed roofing Barton over the turned up overlapped edges , we stored feed and penned up ewes and lambs too
Still in the corner of the field 4 years later a bit wind swept but did the job
And a touring caravan

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
just google https://www.google.c...w=2320&bih=1381

j and H

j and H