Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Introducing myself

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Phae

Phae

Duckling

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationCornwall
Hi, I am new, just wanted to say hello. We live in St.Agnes, Cornwall.
We are renting while we sell some flats in Nottingham (very slow) and practising on our allotment. Land is expensive here so we are looking inland a bit, but can't go too far away because of school. I have read the book from cover to cover (how do I register the number? Can't find how to do it) and I am very excited about getting started. We have advantages and disadvantages for the system, lots of practical skills and we have both been self employed for years so lots of transferable skills there. Disadvantages- as I said, expensive here and lots of land taken up by horses, we also need to go inland to get away from AONB, heritage coast, tourism pressure area and article 4 land. But I read on another forum about a lady that put an ad in farmers weekly to get land and was inundated, great idea!
Anyone near us? Phae

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
Hello and welcome
Land is expensive and good bits are rare but they are out there
Lots of land in Cornwall has been used for spuds for years , it ruins the soil structure and the soil has all but blown away , last week there was 17 tractors in a 10 acre field down your way most were just pulling other tractors trying to plant spuds !!
The land that's a bit undulating will possibly have better soil and be cheaper especially in land
Pm admin to get yourself on the full site
Not near you but then it is st Agnes :-) way down west

Phae

Phae

Duckling

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationCornwall
Hi,
Well, it rains a lot and can be wild and windy here!
Yes, some spuds, but mostly cabbages and caulis, few daffodils around here. A lot are not picked, left to rot in the fields as supermarkets messing the farmers around or would cost more to harvest than would get for them.
I have emailed admin, thanks.
Phae

Chris1

Chris1

Turkey

• Book Owners
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationCheshire
Welcome, Phae. I'm in & out of here at times, but sadly won't be doing as you lucky lot. Good luck to you.

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
It's been the same in Devon for 4 months but I have rolled my fields today :-)
Supermarket were designed to ruin good farming and benefit the bad ones

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the deep south west
welcome phae, we are up the road from you,SE Cornwall. know what you mean about prices, but there are some pieces still with a good price…ours is steep, but so is all our neighbours and they seem to maker it work…..

Phae

Phae

Duckling

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Thanks for the welcomes you guys!