Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Registering a new farms address - how?????

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Eve

Eve

Goose

• Book Owners
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
My address saga continues, has anyone else had this problem?...
Back story: I rented land on the opposite side of the road to the land I now own... I knew the road name & postcode (all dwellings on the road (5) have the same, so used that address to get things like CPH, and started making investigations to register my farm, initial conversations with the council told me that as I had no dwelling I just had to go to my local post office to register...
Then (whilst making a Facebook page!) I realised that the gate we are using as the main entrance for the farm (we have 4 entrances on 2 roads, but this one has the best visibility) actually fell into a completely different postcode zone!
So...
I went to my local post office, who sent me to my town post office, who sent me to the sorting office, who sent me back to my town post office, who then gave me a card and said email your request to this address... There was no address on the card, just a unobtainable phone number!
Eventually, after I lodged a complaint with Royal Mail I received a response with a phone number. Spoke to someone who actually understood what I wanted, she found the farm and then said I needed to go through the council! (She was very helpful and gave me the number and name of the person I needed to contact in my council).
Spoke to the council who said at the very least, as there was no dwelling, I needed an office manned during normal working hours to be able to fit the criteria, she also mentioned something about paying business rates... I explained that it was a field, and I am starting a farming business so need an address for deliveries, there are no buildings... I mentioned my plans for a barn when she said brilliant, just include an office within the barn, I informed her that the barn was only for the use of storing farming equipment and animal feed, I would not be alowed to have an office. To which she advised that I went for full planning for just for an office???
Subsequently I have decided that my 'temporary tack room' (read old touring caravan, with flat tyres, and holes in the roof, floor and walls!) can now be emptied and dragged from the stables to the farm to become my feed room/rest room/office!... I'm keeping everything crossed that will suffice! 😁
And other ideas welcome!
Eve
Xx

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
PO don't like giving them out and are no longer involved
It's now down to the council , they like a planning app number and as you say a farm office is what they want to hear
We have a parish boundary through our Land , we are on the wrong side for our post code but it works fine

Greenbeast

Greenbeast

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

We have no buildings, i spoke to the council's Street Name and number department and gave all the relevant details (road, existing post code, desired name, etc)

Cost £160 and they register you with RM, the emergency services and other government/council agencies and departments.

You will need a post box as a minimum but that is all.

It is ridiculous to apply for permission and build an office so you can have an address.

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
Was that before you had 3 yr temp ? As if you are living there they would give you an address

Greenbeast

Greenbeast

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts
yes that was before planning permission. I explained it was a farm business. I said we have a post box (he drove past and checked) and then once paid he registered it

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the deep south west
i rang registration at the council office, they charged me £40 they liaised with the post office, or royal mail…i gave them the new name of the farm, but had to in clued the business name….so they agreed that, bla bla produce at bla bla farm was acceptable….no dwelling on site, but registration did say, you have pp..why not stick a caravan on site…………..that did make me smile