Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

It's been 6 years now

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

adrian007

adrian007

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

yeah,,, that is good for a polytunnel frame - as long as you aren't exposed to wind, a frame is a frame... You haven't visited us yet - you should (in spring... now it is miserable!).

Our tunnel was a tad more than £60... :-) But there's not alot between us an america to break the wind, so we figured we'd do a belt and braces job. Round here, all the barns have slopy west walls to deflect wind/

sodbuster

sodbuster

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Hi. I have the 3 year temp permission which now amounts to about 18 months in ( following the f2f route in principal ).

We are on course to fulfill the financial criteria selling alpacas,alpaca pillows and duvets and doing alpaca walking as well as more minor farming enterprises such as tourism etc.

Regarding the f2f route being expensive I must concur. The barn and animal stock is expensive. I would advise others to purchase the skeleton stock of animals but regarding the barn I would not attempt to build a mega large one but I would obtain the permission for a large barn but only aim to build a small one in the first year and leave it at that as you will not be making enough money. Now when you are on the land with barn started I would apply for 3 year temp permission sharpish. This way the antagonism that will follow you from neighbors etc has not had time to build up ( you will have a better relationship with the council if you are not being targeted by jealous neighbors) .You have not spent out huge amounts on the barn. You have not built up your business yet as the f2f book advises but a good application with realistic financial predictions will solve that. In short get the barn permission buy the animal stock, get the unit on site, start the barn and put the application in.

It all costs money but there may be another way. The national planning policy now allows dwellings where the enterprise is operating on a sustainable level as long as you can show there is a need to live there ( ie a functional need with animals that fulfill this need)

PPS7 which is still refered to states;   

"AUTHORITIES SHOULD TAKE A REALISTIC APPROACH TO THE LEVEL OF PROFITABILITY,TAKING INTO ACCOUNT THE NATURE OF THE ENTERPRISE CONCERNED. SOME ENTERPRISES WHICH OPERATE BROADLY ON A SUBSISTENCE BASIS,BUT WHICH NONETHELESS PROVIDE WIDER BENEFITS (EG IN MANAGING ATTRACTIVE LANDSCAPES OR WILDLIFE HABITATS ) CAN BE SUSTAINED ON RELATIVELY LOW FINANCIAL RETURNS.

What this amounts to may well be that if successful the the permanent dwelling would be the unit that is on site and not a new house as the financial predictions would not allow for this.So if sustainability is the intention it would be wise to install a caravan/temp structure that you would be happy with as this would be the one that would be staying if you gained permanent permission.

Sodbuster

surreydodger

surreydodger

Agricultural Planning Advisory Service

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts
  • LocationWest Sussex

I would like to say more about our situation but I am unsure as to whether our LPA looks in here or not.

Suffice to say we are still here and battling on. I look forward to the day when I can fully reveal the whole story ,,,,, it's a real doozy I promise.,, and it may well have come to a conclusion later on this year. Or not :)

Briefly, I would say the F2F way is feasible and has certain merits but there are some additional points. I fully agree that deep pockets are required although, I have picked up so much in hindsight that if I did this again, it would probably cost me a third of what we have spent.

So, sorry about the suspense but I will hopefully one day be able to give some good solid advice along with a story containing fair bit of 'them' versus 'us' !

bramblebasher

bramblebasher

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 509 posts

Surrey dodger great to see you post here. I look forward to hearing about your experience, now that will be a long post. Power to you.

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
It's been a long wait , anyone yet ??

ruthie

ruthie

Lamb

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

LOL :0 be nice to see some one back from old days eh !

ruthie

ruthie

Lamb

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Well if any of our old pals drop in now again - drop me an e-mail.   [email protected]

would love to catch up :)