Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

I know I should re-read the book again, but...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Eve

Eve

Goose

• Book Owners
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
So, we've been thinking of ways we could make a few more pennies and bring people to our farm...
I have a few questions;
I seem to remember there was a percentage of income that had to come directly from agriculture, is that right and if so, what's the magic number?!
Can I rent out grazing land out and include the income?
As we've had a couple of problems with trespassers wanting to use our secure fields for walking their dogs, we thought we could offer that too... I found a FB site with 20,000 people looking for secure paddocks to walk/train dogs, some were charging Ā£10 for 30 min hire! šŸ˜± We weren't thinking of anything like that price, more to encourage people to come and get to know us, get our name out there and hopefully sell some produce.
Thoughts anyone?...

dilangar

dilangar

Goose

• Book Owners
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationWest sussex
Tread carefully with dog walkers. They can claim rights over a period of time if left unchecked.

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the deep south west

if anything..why not turn them into allotments, don't charge, but get people to grow 50%  of the produce for YOU and 50% for them..at least that way, you will have produce that will go through your books

you will supply the seedsā€¦that will show the purchaseā€¦.

forget the dog ideaā€¦.its not an agriculture business, growing veg is

adrian007

adrian007

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

It's a nice idea at first glance - income without labour.

But, you offer a 'Secure paddock' and a dog escapes... it's your fault. They aren't paying money to be in a field.

Dog noise - people will hear within a mile or so - complaint time...

adrian007

adrian007

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Veg plan, via allotments isn't a bad shout... 50:50 sounds a bit optimistic to me, but a split is a good plan, especially if you are providing seeds and tools etc. You'll also need to provide a loo (long drop compost loo?) etc

Also, the same plan (but with no split)  but with the local primary school... the kids will bring their parents up at the weekend.

Bee keepers will be happy to keep hives on the land and give you a few jars of honey to sell.

Grow your own perennial fruit and veg. Much less labour in perennials, you plant, tend to the plant every now and then and reap a harvest every year.

Rhubarb

Asparagus

Artichokes

Berries & Drupes

Currents

Tree fruit

Nut trees

Grapes 

These will all be things you can sell alongside your eggs. 

Then you have lots of jam, pickle and dried fruit opportunities as well.