Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Septic tank

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Sunnysouthdevon

Sunnysouthdevon

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Anybody fitted there own septic tank? If do what process did it involve? Apart from the obvious of digging a big hole

pigsmitefly

pigsmitefly

Goose

• Book Owners
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

hi ssd, what are you useing the tank for, is it groung water or toilet , have fitted a few, 

Sunnysouthdevon

Sunnysouthdevon

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
It will be foul water..... All rainwater will go to soakaway and rainwater harvesting tanks

tonydockers

tonydockers

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

im about to fit a Vortex system which is a treatment plant, im doing mine above ground and pumping in to it as im on flood plain, this allows me to discharge into river

around £2k for the vortex and another £3500 for the pumping station, its all really easy but i am in building so i do drainage many times a year, if you find a local ground worker/drainage contractor they should be able to install for you quite cheaply

Sunnysouthdevon

Sunnysouthdevon

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Il install it myself as I'm a plumber/ heating engineer but never done a test for fitting one, let alone actually installing the tank itself. Il have a go and if I fub it up il pay a professional

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
Klargester do a treatment plant with a air bubbler
Easy to install just get 4 cu m dry mix concrete
1 cu m in the bottom of the hole
Drop the tank in
Fill with water
Put remaining concrete round the tank to the level indicated and back fill
You may find rules have changed and you now can't go direct to a water course but need a catchment pit . Soak away

You don't need planning or building regs for a mobile home etc
You will do when you put in for 3 yrs temp as of last year though
See your other post for how to do perculation test

Sunnysouthdevon

Sunnysouthdevon

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Cool cheers shepie, I'm going to pm you

tonydockers

tonydockers

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

i am led to believe that vortex is the only system accepted for stream/river discharge

Sunnysouthdevon

Sunnysouthdevon

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
I've heard a lot about the klatgesters when I've been working near water courses etc so il check it out

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the deep south west

We are using the compost system…a 1200 ltr compost bin £60…toilet seat and cover £ 9.99 box made up from shiplap and 2x2 £10…2 x buckets B&Q £2…..bag of sawdust £6.99

total £88.99….

No smell

and loads of compost for the hedges, and christmas trees

i didn't really like the idea at 1st..but its bloody brilliant …and so easy

pigsmitefly

pigsmitefly

Goose

• Book Owners
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

ok ssd, dig the hole, put 4inch of concrete in the bottom with some steel hoops, the small steel hoops are for attatching some straps to strap the tank down, ( if you dont do this you may have a broblem with the tank trying to float when its empty and there has been a lot of rain,) drop in the tank and back fill with pea beach, after you have attached your pipes of course, job done,

Sunnysouthdevon

Sunnysouthdevon

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Pigsmitefly..... The surface soil is clay so I'm hoping this isn't too deep and won't effect a perc test , the ground has had no work done on it for many years so I think if my offer gets accepted and I get it then I will plough, reseed and do some field drainage etc and this should give me a better idea of the soil structure beneath the surface

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
Concrete will work much better in clay soils as by nature they are wet and acidic
Metal and straps are ok in light sandy soils etc

Sunnysouthdevon

Sunnysouthdevon

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Your like fountain of knowledge shepie....

pigsmitefly

pigsmitefly

Goose

• Book Owners
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

sand or clay, i tend to allways strap the tank down,  it only costs a few quid extra, is it worth the risk, as to the fill, you can use concrete rather than peabeach, but what if you ever want or have to move the tank, do you really want to gun out 5 tonne of concrete !!!!

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the deep south west

don't think i would be spending that much on a temp building….would be different if a dwelling was allowed

Sunnysouthdevon

Sunnysouthdevon

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
J and h ... Spending how much on a temporary building? Surely once the tank is fitted etc it can be utilised for a mobile home, farm office toilet or eventually a house if planking is gained

Greenbeast

Greenbeast

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts
we simply didn't have it/haven't got it, so like j and h we're going composting. Although still got to do a soakaway for liquids which will be interesting given how much water our clay seems to be holding...

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
Concrete really you are not going to move the thing are you !!!!
Straps will rot and your tank will rise !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Composting is great but I am thinking like long term and am too busy moving all their shir to go near mine

Sunnysouthdevon

Sunnysouthdevon

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
I certainly won't be digging out a tank full of s##t and piss, once it's in the ground it's there to stay I'm afraid , I don't think I wanna crap in a bucket and go throw it outside tbh, I understand why people do this , I understand why people also like to live off grid but it's just not for me..... Sorry guys