Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Land search

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Sunnysouthdevon

Sunnysouthdevon

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Well my never ending search for ground may be due to end soon hopefully..... Today looked at 15 acres in 2 parcels, road access, mains water and good stock fencing. One of the fields needs some drainage work but nothing that can't be sorted, and the best bit it's pretty cheap

Tom Bombadil

Tom Bombadil

Calf

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
cool. keep us posted!

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the deep south west

fingers crossed

tim'rous beastie

tim'rous beastie

Calf

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationSomerset
What's stopping you? Get that offer in and make the vendors Christmas!

Sunnysouthdevon

Sunnysouthdevon

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
It's a private sale, no agents . I'm going to email western power tomorrow for electric quote, if that's reasonable il defo be putting an offer forward, i don't mind paying the asking price if needs be as it's a shade over 100k

adrian007

adrian007

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

I would suggest putting in your offer and getting the ball rolling... pull out of the electric work is too expensive, but you can't risk it being sold to someone else in the meantime. Look after yourself.

Remember, if the electric work costs are substantial you can look at a combo of solar + batteries + Generator back up.

Bimble solar are a good place to start looking at Solar.

Sunnysouthdevon

Sunnysouthdevon

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Got ball rolling on elec price so should get that within next couple days, I've stalled her at minute by telling her I want to look into the drainage for bottom field . I can't go down the ' off grid route' the only thing I can do like that is a bore hole for water. It may sound stupid but I wanna flick my light switch and have the bulb come on, plug my phone in blah blah blah without wondering if we have enough power or if the diesel is going to run out in the generator

Greenbeast

Greenbeast

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

we waited weeks and weeks for a re-quote of an existing electric install quote. Absolutely nothing had changed we just hadn't accepted in the 3 month window.

Just FYI

adrian007

adrian007

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

It may sound stupid but I wanna flick my light switch and have the bulb come on, plug my phone in blah blah blah without wondering if we have enough power or if the diesel is going to run out in the generator

Believe me SSD, that in no way sounds stupid - we had our electric connected 10 days ago and we are still getting used to it.

Sunnysouthdevon

Sunnysouthdevon

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
One of life's little luxuries I don't want to be without Adrian. Green beast I spoke to the planner on phone today and he said he can do it withing 24-48 hrs if I'm in a rush for it, I've had a few quotes and things done by them over the years and 7 days was the longest I waited so fingers crossef

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the deep south west

funny enough..we thought we couldn't live without a connection, 

now, i'm wondering if i want a connection…our diesel genny is working a treat, i have no bills, yet have lights, hot water and everything we need...

i run power tools, i charge batteries, and red diesel is 40p a litre….

this weather will see me spending £25 quid a week max..and that includes gas….

maybe later..if things go according to plan, then yes, i would consider getting connected….but only maybe

Greenbeast

Greenbeast

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

One of life's little luxuries I don't want to be without Adrian. Green beast I spoke to the planner on phone today and he said he can do it withing 24-48 hrs if I'm in a rush for it, I've had a few quotes and things done by them over the years and 7 days was the longest I waited so fingers crossef

But surely it requires a visit, how could they manage that in 24-48 hours?

Sunnysouthdevon

Sunnysouthdevon

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Apparently not greenbeast, he said as there has been previous works around there he wouldn't need to do an initial site wiser as he can do most of it from the maps they have and pictures from work they did at the neighbouring farm. They've done quotes for me before and never needed a visit

Greenbeast

Greenbeast

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

ah that's fair enough

Sunnysouthdevon

Sunnysouthdevon

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
How's things going on Ross farm? Muddy?

Sunnysouthdevon

Sunnysouthdevon

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
He kept to his word and 24hrs later I've revived prices for single 15kva supply and a 30kva split supply

Greenbeast

Greenbeast

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

How's things going on Ross farm? Muddy?

Oh is it ever! A nightmare, we're regularly getting both 4x4s stuck, luckily i've found the diff lock pedal on the tractor :)

He kept to his word and 24hrs later I've revived prices for single 15kva supply and a 30kva split supply

jolly good

Eve

Eve

Goose

• Book Owners
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Congrats! I hope the sale goes smoothly, and well done for getting a leccy quote so quickly... I'm still sorting out a water quote and We bought our land in August! xx

Sunnysouthdevon

Sunnysouthdevon

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Going for another look today before I offer, my only concern is the soil is a little bit clay so I'm wondering how this will effect a septic tank

adrian007

adrian007

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Not sure that it would affect a septic tank - they are sealed units aren't they?  

The only issues with clay I can think of are surface related - plants (some like, some don't), animals (soft in winter (bad for feet), hard in summer (cause injuries) and drainage.

So, there are management issues, but then, I have super well drained large grained soil - kind of the opposite issues, I struggle to keep water in!

All soil needs management, just different management.