Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

setting up a smallholding

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

davo

davo

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Hiya all

Greenbeast

Greenbeast

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

are you telling us something or asking?

adrian007

adrian007

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Egg production certificate is a nice touch :-) I like that idea.

Our run is almost built - shed is 8 x 8 feet with two doors with a 4.8 x 9.6 meter run from either door. 2m fencing with netting over. 

Then a longer run through the orchard, fenced at 1.8 meters - 19.2 meters by 19.2 meters.

(measurements because wood comes in 4.8 meter lengths)

Hopefully enough room to allow enough hens to produce enough eggs :-)

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
Hi Davo
Would you like to explain a bit better as at the moment you have two chicken pens , which I presume are moveable as the runs are only 20 ft sq with lights
Are they the large sheds with 1000 hens in each ?
Do you have planning for a dwelling ?

Sunnysouthdevon

Sunnysouthdevon

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Just out of interest has anyone ever used an old static for a chicken shed? Could strip the interior and think of how many birds you could fit in it? Plus it's moveable!

Greenbeast

Greenbeast

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

very very hot in summer and cold in winter. 

we've picked up a 9x7' plastic shed for £150, not always around but keep your eyes open for a bargain, easy to disinfect if you get mites plus they don't live as easily in it as wood.

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
Jimmys farm did

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the deep south west

i never call it a smallholding, its a farm, according to the rules, 

our birds do free range, totally we did try the penn system but it don't take long for them to turn it into a quagmire, yes there will always be an issue with a fox…but having the perimeter fenced, this does cut down the chance by a small bit, 

the chicken houses do need to move easily and without doubt need to be easy to clean, we found smaller houses worked better for us….seeing as we couldn't drag with a tractor on the slope, 

the houses really do need to be well ventilated, hence why i would never use something like a static or touring caravan, in my honest opinion,wood is best, and  if the farm looks neat, i think you are less likely to get complaints, 

as for the amounts, isn't it 50 birds to register and 350 before needing to  stamp  eggs ?

Eggs will never be our main route, to us they are just something to get the initial customer in…. you need to many bloody chickens  :prankster:

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the deep south west

Eucalyptus helps keep red mite away, either using the oil in the hay, or buying medi  bed..and adding to field hey

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
You need to get a cert and stamp for shops and register with over 50 birds , I think you also need to check each egg for blood spot

davo

davo

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

hiya

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
A neighbour has 4 caravans in a square with large site mesh panels to keep foxes out , it looks a mess but she has no problems
I think you will find different areas and planners have different rules and some people go with the flow and others wind the planners up
You could just find someone in your area that has done something like yours on flood land
Tony d on here has alpaca and pigs on such land , he has planning (pd) for a barn
Most things have been tried on here from moving on site to do engineering works but then never doing the work to building castles behind bales
Setting up a farm with no animals !!! That's new
You may need a link to a Facebook group