Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Council Tax

council tax

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Scott Hodson

Scott Hodson

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Hey Guys and Gals

Can I get advice on this strange event please?

We have been on our lovely farm for 18 months and fought off the enemy (Bedfordshire Council) in the initial battle 12 months ago

Now they have visited again and posted a request for council tax

Is this a rouse to try and get us to admit we are residential rather than just "staying there during engineering works" 

Yours in anticipation 
Scotty

Greenbeast

Greenbeast

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

The departments probably don't talk to each other.

My neighbour had an issue with cert of lawful use on an old bungalow on his land, the 'council' wanted proof it had been used as residential before.

He called the council tax department and got them to put in writing that it had in fact been used as a residence for decades.

adrian007

adrian007

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Tricky, before I went admitting I was residential, I would put up a bit of a protest, not too strong... and make sure everyone is clear you are staying, not residing.

Get them to confirm your position, so that you are covered. Once you are satisfied your position isn't weakened by the situation, then you are in the position where paying council tax might work against the council at some time in the future.

Surely they can only say you are on the cheapest band, so hopefully not too painful. 

I have heard they are unrelated departments as well.

Scott Hodson

Scott Hodson

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Lovely jubbly - cheers 

I will phone them and then back it up with an email to that effect :)

Hope this helps other people too

Onwards and upwards people!

elegantstorm

elegantstorm

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

I understand if you're living there you pay council tax, if your staying you don't.