Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Public footpaths

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

carrotcruncher

carrotcruncher

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationSomerset

Hello peeps, I'm interested in some land coming up for auction, there is one issue as I see it, being a public footpath crosses the land. Has anyone had this problem? I'm thinking if I went for it I'd fence off a walkway and plant some hedges to keep any nosey parkers out of sight? Any advice welcome

adrian007

adrian007

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Marmite subject - yes, people can buy your stuff. No, people can be nosey and object to your every move.

I think No tends to win, but if the land is perfect, and you can isolate the track, I wouldn't count it out completely.

Those trees - they won't be tall enough or dense enough for a very long time.

tim'rous beastie

tim'rous beastie

Calf

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationSomerset
I had the same dilemma last year, and ended up buying it! I fenced the footpath off, it is on a boundary, I'd not have looked twice if it came through the middle. So far its been all positive feedback, locals very impressed with what I've done clearing the overgrown path, double fencing, making it safe for their dogs, opening up views etc. But it cost around £12,000 to do, clearing 75 years of scrub is a long long job!

Of course the noseys nimbys will get their knickers in a twist when they notice my slowly slowly catchey monkey development, but I can't let that bother me, can I?!

Groundhog

Groundhog

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Marmite subject - yes, people can buy your stuff. No, people can be nosey and object to your every move.

I think No tends to win, but if the land is perfect, and you can isolate the track, I wouldn't count it out completely.

Those trees - they won't be tall enough or dense enough for a very long time.

Bowhayes trees they sell hybrid poplars very good for quick hedge/screen plus you can take your own grafts off them the following year