Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Public footpaths!!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Sunnysouthdevon

Sunnysouthdevon

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Are they a big problem?
I've had a sniff of some ground that may come for sale but has a public footpath.... Is it a major thing that should sway my thoughts

billie

billie

Lamb

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Locationsouth coast

It really depends on your farming plans,and  how much it is used. etc, i know from personal experience they are difficult to get moved,even from diagonally across a field to around the sides,

I suppose it depends on how good the land is.

Best of luck with it

Sunnysouthdevon

Sunnysouthdevon

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
It comes along a boundary and across a field to a bridle way .... It's not great land by any means but just wondered if it can put a damper on any future developments or even a restriction as to what you can do etc

tim'rous beastie

tim'rous beastie

Calf

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationSomerset
My current field has a footpath along one boundary. Neglected since the Second World War, it became very overgrown, and gradually people moved further into the field to walk. I bought it last year and have since spent about fifteen thousand pounds having the original path marked out by a surveyor, having diggers in to clear it, and fencing it completely along both sides.

As well as meaning I now have safer areas for livestock, I've also uncovered a strip of land about ten metres wide by 250 long. I've enjoyed talking to folks out walking on the path, and apart from mouldy old bag who complains about everything, the locals are all impressed, so in that way it's a bonus for me.

Normally I would avoid land with a footpath, but this field was worth buying for the view if nothing else!

respectedponydriver

respectedponydriver

Lamb

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

All I can say from my own experience is 'All walkers need shooting'.I would never buy land with Public Access as they think they own it and it is impossible to move them.

Pony

Groundhog

Groundhog

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

All I can say from my own experience is 'All walkers need shooting'.I would never buy land with Public Access as they think they own it and it is impossible to move them.

Pony

I agree also dog worring is a major problem,I am aware of someone who has 58 acres that cant be used for livestock full stop and other fields that have potential for attacks,all footpaths have been fenced in including paths accross fields this still doesnt stop it people ignoree signage,including ripping it off,dog friendly styles have been smashed they make their own paths because they just live over there !!!!.They have lived there for 20 years so tell you they have the right.I found repeated use of creosote and a chain on gates they shouldnt use quite effective.You will get a torrent of abuse when you challenge people even if you are curtious.The above things are done by respectable villagers not hoodies !!!

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
Great if you want a horse but otherwise keep looking
Hedges have eyes without letting the nosey b******s in to stand looking at you

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the deep south west

wouldn't touch it with a barge pole….on my old shooting ground i seen more idiots than you could throw a stick at…even when the farmer had cattle on, dogs would still be off lead,

then you would get abuse from the town folk who where jaunting across the countryside when you where shooting….

adrian007

adrian007

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

I would be worried about it too, but I wouldn't discount it.

If it is not too inconvenient, and you can deal with the 'nosy parker element' etc then there is also a marketing opportunity.

The trouble will be, if you end up having 'complainers...'

Sunnysouthdevon

Sunnysouthdevon

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
I'm not discounting it and il chat to the guy who owns it, see if he's had any problems etc .... As for nosey people I'm
Not really worried, it's no different to anyone who walks past your farm gate and looks in at what your doing

tottenham

tottenham

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Locationvery south of watford

I'm not discounting it and il chat to the guy who owns it, see if he's had any problems etc .... As for nosey people I'm
Not really worried, it's no different to anyone who walks past your farm gate and looks in at what your doing

or what your got

Sunnysouthdevon

Sunnysouthdevon

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
True Tottenham