Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What animals are best ??

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Groundhog

Groundhog

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

NO, what would give you that impression?

I am tony of the family name Dougherty :)

I didn't bother unpicking Tottenham's appraisal above as couldn't be arsed with the row, but to be honest far more farmers farm sheep than people who own alpacas farm alpacas....many own alpacas in the way tottenham and others quite rightly judge them, as pets in a pyramid scheme or as planning dodges, and that system is a changing field....acknowledged. however as one door closes another opens and if you are creative and hard working you can make anything work, even Alpacas.

A local farmer to me raises 10,000 sheep, he is based in Ropley near Alton, he has seen 48% wiped off the value of his lambs over the last few weeks as we have had such a healthy herd birthed this year, so even mainstream animals have issues and lets face it with standard man days still being accepted far higher for alpacas I can hold less....

I am breeding alpacas all year round to ensure I have an all year round supply of meat, my diary which has been kept seems to support far higher man days than a sheep is accredited by Mr Nix, but i am happy to bow to Tottenhams knowledge or any planning officers opinion, i can only speak of what i actually do.

I am busy working on setting up my meat production, i currently have a head count of 56 alpacas aside from any other animals and ive invested less than some have invested in 1, would i ever pay 1000s for 1, not a chance.

my pigs if sold as store to auction cant repay the feed costs, which is why so many pig farmers are leaving, doesnt mean ill lose money on my pigs....im prepared to put more effort in to produce products to take to market to add value, will it be an easier sell than alpaca products, who knows, time will see.

whatever you farm i wish you luck, success and a whole heep of happiness.

No very little about Alpaccas.

If you are to market them for meat what constraints are you going to have from a management point ?

With other animals they have to be killed within a time limit befor the meat goes tough or tainted

Does alpacca meat taint if the males are left entire ?

Whilst on that point how do you castrate a young one ?

Adults animals what will their carcass be used for will it be similar to sheep or cows as in used for pies etc?

Just had a thought you dont see Alpacca dog or cat food ! you see rabbit ,lamd chicken etc

Possible high end market to spoilt pets maybe ,benefits of health to them !

What do you do with an aged Alpacca ? Presumably Hunt kennels or Knacker man.

If alpacca meat has to be sourced at say 6 months old is there not the cute and fluufy brigade that would oppose.

Veal still has that stigma when in reality they are reared in barns on straw in stead of being shot at birth.

Groundhog

Groundhog

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

What i'm finding interesting, is the price of sheep and how they are sold, one of my neighbours here is a massive sheep farmer, he will take a load to market and get the daily price, he told me just the other week, he was getting 56 pounds per head, two weeks later 76 pounds per head….yet at the same time, i'm seeing the same breeds going for 90-110 on Facebook..ok..i realise a big farmer will not have the time to sell small amounts on the likes of face book, neither will he have the time to deal in such small numbers, yet the smaller farmer seems to be doing a bit better, he not only sells the sheep , but will also sell butchered joints or half a sheep at a high price, this also goes for pigs, i firmly believe, if you market your produce in a way others aren't, you may just get that niche market

Prices have always gone up and done according to supply and demand in the market place.

I can achieve £65 or £165  for the same animal depending on how,who,where I market it.

I know of someone who can turn £750 on one bacon /porker pig,and someone else who can do the same by a different method.

tottenham

tottenham

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Locationvery south of watford

GH

i don't think they were ever taken to slaughter because the initial price made them uneconomical for meat but as Tony says the price has dropped. i would imagine they would be treated the same as sheep but i don't know. interesting times ahead.

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the deep south west

as with pigs, yes, i know a guy who does hog roasts at 500 pounds a time, also a guy who did lamb on a rack like BBQ style and made 350 per lamb

its being small enough to get these ideas into practice against big herds/flocks to get the man hours

as earlier in the thread, H will create a chicken club for the kids, hopefully, if this works, we will build a regular customer base, yes it means having people on site, but that is a price we are prepared to make, after all business is business, 

without doubt, there are certain animals that will suit each and everyone of us, finding the right outlet to get the best payback is the biggest task...

very interesting times ahead for all of us...

adrian007

adrian007

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

There's at least two places doing alpaca meat in Cornwall - burgers and sausages. It'll have a market.

I note a couple of alpaca's went at autcion in Brdgewater at £25 each... not saying that is representative, not many alpaca buyers at a livestock auction, but they are certainly cheaper these days.

There's a market, it just needs exploiting... and if there isn't a market, that's because people just don't know yet.

tonydockers

tonydockers

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Just curious tony.... I thought someone had previously said you were his brother and just wondered how he was getting on with setting up his own forum etc

hahaha no not brothers 

i found lump through this web site and have had a good few chars and emails with him probable very similar to others on here, i havnt spoken to him for a week or two other than 1 text exchange where he was as busy as ever on some big cases

if i here i will let you know

tonydockers

tonydockers

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

There's at least two places doing alpaca meat in Cornwall - burgers and sausages. It'll have a market.

I note a couple of alpaca's went at autcion in Brdgewater at £25 each... not saying that is representative, not many alpaca buyers at a livestock auction, but they are certainly cheaper these days.

There's a market, it just needs exploiting... and if there isn't a market, that's because people just don't know yet.

my point exactly, if the markets adjusting then now its time to make hay.....

tonydockers

tonydockers

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

No very little about Alpaccas.

If you are to market them for meat what constraints are you going to have from a management point ?

With other animals they have to be killed within a time limit befor the meat goes tough or tainted

Does alpacca meat taint if the males are left entire ?

Whilst on that point how do you castrate a young one ?

Adults animals what will their carcass be used for will it be similar to sheep or cows as in used for pies etc?

Just had a thought you dont see Alpacca dog or cat food ! you see rabbit ,lamd chicken etc

Possible high end market to spoilt pets maybe ,benefits of health to them !

What do you do with an aged Alpacca ? Presumably Hunt kennels or Knacker man.

If alpacca meat has to be sourced at say 6 months old is there not the cute and fluufy brigade that would oppose.

Veal still has that stigma when in reality they are reared in barns on straw in stead of being shot at birth.

Alpaca meat sold as prime cuts is best sold at 2 years old

older males will be processed in to sausage and burgers as we know mincing process equals out ageing

if butchered at the correct time you have a great bi product in the full rug which retail for some good prices

60kg in meat from a dead male alpaca is usual plus added fat to make sausages as they are very lean...it also takes flavour very very well, possibilities are endless as you can make smoke or cured speciality products to command a premium and you will be pretty sure to have little or no comptition at farmers markets etc where tasters work to sell your products not the name ie pork or lamb

Groundhog

Groundhog

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

smoked alpacca salami sounds nice,or biltong

I figure it needs to have a name like prechootio(I know its not spelled like that|)

so there isnt a ref to alpacca like salami isnt called smokey pig

What do the south americans make from their meat.

Altho I actually quite like the sound of smokey pig as a product

Greenbeast

Greenbeast

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

I'm intrigued, will be watching out for your meat being available

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners