Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Pigs and functional need

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

dynamedia

dynamedia

Chick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi All,

Just read the book and noticed that the subject of pigs was barely touched upon in the livestock section. Having looked at the price of meat in Farmer's Weekly, it's obvious why, but was just wondering how they fit within functional need?

I'm planning to buy some land and intending a wide array of schemes to bring lots of little revenue channels in the hope that this may help reduce risk, ie. if something fails, it's only a minor element of my overall income plan. Part of this may entail raising rare breed pigs, which should be more profitable than their mainstream relatives. It's my understanding that the breeding cycle of pigs, unlike sheep, should be sufficient to meet the criteria for functional need, but just wondered what others opinions were?

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
Hi i think pigs would if be ok as they have a year round random breeding cycle 3 m 3w 3 days and 24 /7 ,you would need to have rare breed / organic / free renge etc. to gain top prices which are about £8 - £13 average per kg( about the same for lamb and beef)if sold direct to the customer depending on what you have and where you are in the country.

I know someone who gained planning for a very large bungalow with pigs but they had 2000 plus pigs and lost a fortune in the last 2 years before they quit , mixed farm is always better and less risky

Shepie

Ty Unnos

Ty Unnos

Goose

• Book Owners
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationNorth Wales - hunting for land!
Hi

This successful application was recently discussed here:

http://www1.tauntond...SRSort=RECVDESC

If you download the document called "Agricultural dwelling house appraisal part 1"

It covers the functional test and as the application was successful it was obviously passed.

The farm in the application has 12 acres.

They basically buy in weaners and pregnant sows, fatten them up, slaughter them and sell them direct to 400 or so customers.

They have about 120 pigs in a year and 40 at any one time.

There is also some detail of the days worked on the farm and that it justifies one full time worker.

So yes it is possible to pass the functional test based on pigs.

dynamedia

dynamedia

Chick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Cheers for the very helpful replies

PumpkinEater

PumpkinEater

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationScotland
I too say thank you for the reply. The link you gave regarding the successful planning application is very informative especially as it seems to allow us some leeway regarding the functional test.