Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Selecting a region in the country

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

whoknows

whoknows

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
Folks here is a newbie, a city mouse who can hear the call of the country and can't resist or rather is unwilling to resist....a few relatives and friends that I have are all confined in London and I don't know anyone in the country....so pretty much all country side is open to me :) a friend I was chatting to rightly said that the choice can be paralysing and it perhaps is, but allows me to learn too about our great country and people....

I guess selecting the region for me has to come from the ease of fulfilling my dream of living on the land and the viability of farming enterprises out there....at the moment am more attracted to and will perhaps end up with a livestock business growing and selling.

So what do people like and dislike about the regions where they are and where would they want to be....any and all advice is welcome....am all ears, willing to learn and grateful for your time...love this forum....

Sunnysouthdevon

Sunnysouthdevon

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
I live in devon .... The thing I dislike about devon is that it's so close to Cornwall 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

whoknows

whoknows

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
Hehehe so other than this Devon is perfect (it certainly looks very beautiful ) and what's so wrong with Cornwall ?

May I ask what sort of venture you have out there....

Sunnysouthdevon

Sunnysouthdevon

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
No venture.....yet, currently hunting for land to buy and start out. Nothing wrong with cornwal just not my cup of tea, seems to take an hour minimum to go anywhere

Ronnie the pommy

Ronnie the pommy

Calf

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts
I live in Somerset, the other side of Devon, I love this area but I did grow up here on the farm so probably biased. I do love being here as it is a very rural area, I am on the edge of Exmoor so not the best quality of land, but I have my own spring water and some woodland as well as hill pasture.

whoknows

whoknows

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
Sounds great and am following your journey in your thread you are a brave lady.....wish you success....

respectedponydriver

respectedponydriver

Lamb

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Hi,Pony here.

I live in West Cornwall and it is the best move that I have ever done.It depends on how and what you want to do.Cornwall is like living in another country,beautiful beaches,friendly people,lots of things to do for free.dont think it is the place to make a fortune,just a place to enjoy and just have enough.Nobody cares if you have lots of 'stuff 'here which suits me.I like that it takes hours to get anywhere Sunnysouthdevon,I wonder where you want to go? Good luck everyone and be kind to each other.x

adrian007

adrian007

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

West Cornwall here too.

I'd prefer a more central location for commercial reasons, but for 'living' reasons, it's lovely. There again, the more central areas are more expensive.

I would suggest you look at where your relatives and friends live in London and go in the direction that travel is easiest - ie probably not involving the dartford crossing, probably not involving the M1.

My sister lives in tottenham, there is a world of difference travelling down here in Toyota igo from tottenham than my commute from epsom in a volvo.

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the deep south west

east cornwall, can smell devon on a easterly wind…. born in devon, yet love cornwall as much...

where ever you go..mix in and take in what the locals do…its their county, become part of it, or you will find things hard

you can start a business anywhere these days, especially with internet, but you will find it easier getting the back up of the locals

and remember…don't try to change what made you fall in love with the place in the 1st place…the countryside works at a different pace…tomorrow if your lucky  :nyam:

Eve

Eve

Goose

• Book Owners
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
I'm on the bucks/beds boarders...
If the whole of the UK is your oyster, then I guess budget will be your first limiting factor.
I wish I was more prepared to move, but for me staying close to family and friends was important. If you don't have that option then maybe the ease of commuting back to them might infuence a search direction.
Xx