Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Land - Cornwall

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

adrian007

adrian007

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts
There's an estate agent down here that sell most of the land - lodge & Thomas.

They have a 15 acre plot up for tender - near Penryn awesome 'a' road main road frontage - perfect for what the book says :-) no price on it, but suspect it'll be around £100k, maybe more if it has power or water

For those banding together they have 66 acres for 300k

Bear in mind your market in Cornwall - draw a circle 50 miles across with your farm in the middle and most of it is sea - the market is a bit trickier... !

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
Is that the 15 acres of scrub on the highest hill around with no shelter and surrounded by wind turbines ?
What ever takes your fancy I suppose

65 acres in a anob /great scientific value /great historic value / great landscape value with scheduled ancient monuments and a right to roam through 3 fields
12 acres arable 30grazing and 20 scrub

Or the other one with woods and a quarry grazing land ,with the a30 on one side and a scramble track on the other !!!!!
Carefull what you wish for, this is why you need to look hard when trying to find the right location , oh and everyone around you is Cornish :-)

Sunnysouthdevon

Sunnysouthdevon

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
I wouldn't move to Cornwall for all the money in china

adrian007

adrian007

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

:-)

Sunnysouthdevon

Sunnysouthdevon

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Don't take offence Adrian ....... Each to there own

shepherdscove

shepherdscove

Goose

• Book Owners
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Mmm..ok, serious question here. What's wrong with Cornwall? We're in process of buying a place that's just inside the Devon border but only a few miles from CW: 9 miles from Bude, 12 to Launceston where our daughter hopes to get into the 6th form (hasn't visited yet but going by website).
Be interested to hear your opinions...
Ta

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
Well that's ok then because you will be in Devon :-)
It's just a joke same as the Welsh
Devoners don't like the Cornish and vice versa, they are Cornish they have (would love us to give them back) their own country and language and most would love to get rid of all English and tourists
Seriously it makes no difference which country you are in , it's the quality of land / location for your chosen enterprise/ land classification / neighbours and look on google earth etc to see what's around there are two or three examples above they look great until you look at the finer detail .
Remember round where you are looking rushes means wet wet clay / spring and only useable in the summer usually

Sunnysouthdevon

Sunnysouthdevon

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Yeah I'm only joking ..... I'd move to Cornwall for sure if I wanted to marry my sister haha 😂😂😂😂😂 on serious note it's a lovely place but just not for me I'm affraid

respectedponydriver

respectedponydriver

Lamb

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Hi all.Pony here.

I moved to West Cornwall 10 years ago and it is the best thing I have ever done.Just remember if you move into a new area dont expect to take your life with you.The English are very good at moving into new areas and then wanting to change things.I lived in Wales before Cornwall and loved it there but i have always wanted to live in Cornwall.Go with the flow.xx

adrian007

adrian007

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts
Yep, as above - a friendly rivalry between the counties... not as serious, as say, Yorkshire/Lancashire.

In terms of market, there is a really good local food movement and cornwall brand loyalty, 1400 hotels and restaurants and a wealthy retired population to market to.

Downside is there is also a fair degree of poverty, If you draw a circle around your farm for say 50 miles, alot will be sea. Buying stuff - you look on ebay, and everything is 100, 200, 300miles away - it's 100 miles to Exeter from where I am.

In terms of life, it is lovely. best plac I have ever lived.

And yes, you have to become a local. I know people who sneer at the locals a bit for thier accents, unexpcted pronounciations etc. They haven't fitted in well.

Pretty much the same characteristics of Devon.

Buying in Devon - we looked there too : watch out for flood plains or really shallow hillside soil, or, you've found a good plot, but in order to get to the mainroad, you need to use a road that floods deep. That was one we looked at. On the other hand, friend sin devon have their produce ripening quicker than ours becuase it's more sheltered.

adrian007

adrian007

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts
No offence taken at all SSD

Groundhog

Groundhog

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Mmm..ok, serious question here. What's wrong with Cornwall? We're in process of buying a place that's just inside the Devon border but only a few miles from CW: 9 miles from Bude, 12 to Launceston where our daughter hopes to get into the 6th form (hasn't visited yet but going by website).
Be interested to hear your opinions...
Ta

Wrong side of the water !

Plus they eat babies

adrian007

adrian007

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts
nah - the baby eating is a Somerset thing started by the Baby Eating Bishop of Bath and Wells... that's not to say they don't taste nice, you just don't find them in a traditional pasty.

shepherdscove

shepherdscove

Goose

• Book Owners
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Ha ha ...thanks I think for all your..ahem- advice?! Y'see, we HAVE to live in Devon, not CW because as far as I'm concerned it's cream first, then jam! Seriously, you wouldn't believe how many comments and opinions that little post garnered when I put it on FB! Cream Tea with jam first? I think not (snorts!)
AnywY, serious points taken on soil, floods etc but so far nowt's come up about any floods. Land is mostly dry, few patches of damp ground but nothing major. It's been surveyed as grade 3.
I do like to eat babies...jelly babies that is!

adrian007

adrian007

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Jelly babies are OK, just like Quorn Bacon is OK. Just not the real thing :-)

If you are interested in the flood thing, it probably won't come up automatically. You need to look.

Google:  environment agency flood map

Obviously, you haven't said, you might be on top of a hill :-)

Chris1

Chris1

Turkey

• Book Owners
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationCheshire

Mornin' all...  Although babies are ok in small doses  (pref' somebody elses'), you couldn't eat a whole one. :))

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the deep south west

well us moved just over the water…can't say its bad at all…you can smell plymuff on an easterly wind, and the rush for the tamar bridge aint to bad..

babies are reasonably priced at morrisons, and if you go near closing time, they are marked down, 

anyway..just waiting for the sun to shine, should be a long drekly, then all will be proper  :nyam: