Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Someone pic me up!!

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

Sunnysouthdevon

Sunnysouthdevon

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Feeling I'm loosing the enthusiasm to do this .... Can't find any land I want and anything that does come up for sale is crap or stupid money for crisp ground.... Some post some pics up for some inspiration. 😔

adrian007

adrian007

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

here you go. This picture is taken from our car park, almost exactly where our 'stall' will go, selling our eggs, pickled onions, jams etc.

To the left is our farm track, this isn't filled in yet becuase from that electricity pole, we are laying a mains connection to our static, off screen to the left. Our water supply is in the car park, and will need laying across the road. those two jobs will be done at the same time, when the mains is being connected.

Over to the right is a wheelie bin bank for 6 wheelie bins. These have holes drilled in the bas and around the top. We empty our composting loos into these, by the time the last one is full, the first will be compost.

Just this side of that you may be able to see some pegs in the ground. These mark the corners of two polytunnesl, the first of which has just been delievered. The nearest pegs mark the barn.

In the far distance of this field you can see a fenced off area - that is the lavender and blueberry's we planted to start the business.

In front, is the orchard. These are mainly cider apples - several varieties of each of the types you need to blend to make cider. Also a few eating apples of the fabulous, never found in the shops types.

The orchard will be extended left and right, to include other types of fruit and nut. To the far right, past the polytunnels will be soft fruits. In the far corner will be some pigs and the next field is pigs.

This side of the orchard will be 2 25m x 10 meter chicken runs, extending into the orchard area as well.

You could be doing this soon? Just keep the faith. My Di had given up long before we found our land, she just never believed it would happen, mostly becuase good things usually don't happen to her (til she re met me)

I on the other hand, always believe things will work out in the end. And you know what they say - whether you believe you will suceed of if you believe you will fail, you will be right.

Prime location, zoopla, rightmove - just keep on looking. Facebook has a 'land in cornwall' page that stuff crops up on sometimes (although maybe you know that already!!)

Good luck

Attached Files

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the deep south west

arrived today...

baby%20chid_zpssrde0f4o.jpg

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the deep south west

finding the right land is half the battle..it will come…i bet we looked at over 30 from wales to cornwall….when its right it will happen,

take in what is happening to everyone else too…learn from all our mistakes and good points, your time will come my friend...

Sunnysouthdevon

Sunnysouthdevon

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Thanks guys it's just the waiting that gets to me, every day it drive to work threw country roads, looking at all the fields being cut and animals being fed.... Wishing and hoping that one day it will be us........ Then I turn up at the big seaside houses in hope cove to be greeted by one of the richest men in the area and be told how hard his life has been since his boiler broke!!

adrian007

adrian007

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

You need to enjoy and remember that 'wishing' and save it. There will be days.

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
Enjoy the sleep Ben and maybe a holiday it will be what your wishing for in a couple of years time
Feeding animals then 140 mile round trip to work in North Devon and home again at 7:40 pm to feed animals
Go into town collect kids and just of to lock up the chucks now ready to start again at 6
My life for the next few weeks , two full time jobs in one day and the wife is house sitting for a week
Your land will come up they may want silly money but they don't all sell it for that much !!

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
And building a shower / toilet block for campers that arrive Monday
I only started at 9 pm last night !!! No walls or floor yet

Sunnysouthdevon

Sunnysouthdevon

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Living the dream mate ......

BanishTheBoss

BanishTheBoss

Chick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Keep positive Sunnysouthdevon, something will come up.  

We are in exactly the same boat at the moment and have had quite a few 500 mile day trips checking places out.

We put an offer on one place but then the farmer withdrew it as his wife has left him and he is now selling the whole farm.

Perhaps if we found enough of us we could club together and buy a farm for a couple of million and divide it up! 

Sunnysouthdevon

Sunnysouthdevon

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Banish the boss...... I have pm'd you

adrian007

adrian007

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts
That would be cool - guaranteed at least one good neighbour as well!!

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
Depends if you got me Adrian :-)

adrian007

adrian007

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts
yeah... that crossed my mind :-)

pigsmitefly

pigsmitefly

Goose

• Book Owners
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

know how you feel ssd, me and the mrs have been looking for land for a year now, spotted a nice parcel  a couple of days ago, was 13 acres, went to auction yesterday and went for over £ 240.000,   :suicide:

Sunnysouthdevon

Sunnysouthdevon

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
I've gone on about doing this so long now I think people are beginning to think I'm taking the piss about it and it's never going to happen ha ha

Eve

Eve

Goose

• Book Owners
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
I know the feeling well! We have been looking for land seriously for over 3 years, and dreamt and looked for years before then! I thought it was never going to happen, but 13 months ago we approached a land owner (I did a lot of letter box dropping and doorstop knocking!) who said she would consider it... I added her to the list of 'considerers'!
At the end of feb this year the land actually came up for sale, we offered full asking price on the same day without even stepping foot on the land (still haven't!)... You have to move very quickly round here! Sadly, although we were supposed to complete in 28 days, we are still waiting to complete, all very frustrating, but hopefully it will all be over by next week, then the real work begins...
I have one enormous problem; money (or the lack of!)... Over the years our budget doubled, and then doubled again, absolutely nothing we could do about it, sadly the price of land kept rising and grass (or docks, buttercups & clover in my case) round my way is bloody expensive! So it was buy land and have next to no pot or don't buy land, we went for the first option
Keep looking, you'll find the place that's right for you.
Xx

pigsmitefly

pigsmitefly

Goose

• Book Owners
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

eve, when you did your letter drop did you say you wanted to start a small farm, or did you play it safe and say you wanted to buy some grazing land,  as i feel its best to keep what  you want to do with the land a bit on the quiet side till the deal is done,

Im only asking coz i think i mite go down the letter drop route, 

pigsmitefly

pigsmitefly

Goose

• Book Owners
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

went to look at another piece of land yesterday afternoon, just came on the market, while we was walking around it we got a call from land agent saying sorry its now under offer,  :angry:

adrian007

adrian007

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

we've got no money - it's still fabulous :-)

Best land is most important :-)