Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Newbie help Land size

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Jayzan

Jayzan

Chick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi there we are new to this and are thinking of taking the plunge and buying a parcel of land to carry out the field to farm scheme. We are looking in the north Kent or East Sussex, where the land is quite expensive. Is it possible at all to follow the scheme with a plot less than the 12.5 acres???

Thanks in advance, Jamie

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the deep south west

No doubt someone will say yes, but 12.5 is classified as a farm, and when it comes to permitted development , 12.5 is also the magic number...

there have been people who have done it with less….and i'm sure they will be a long...

Greenbeast

Greenbeast

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

If you're prepared to put in full planning for most structures and developments (barns, tracks, polytunnels, hardstandings) then you can go sub 12.5.

Sunnysouthdevon

Sunnysouthdevon

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Surely they could buy say 4 acres and rent the rest of the ground to get them up to the acreage?

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
You need at least 1 ha and could in theory rent the rest

Jayzan

Jayzan

Chick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for all your replies, maybe renting the extra land is the way forward. I take it that it would need to be connected to the land we purchase?

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

it needs to be with in 5 miles i think….the only thing i would be concerned about is being able to make the business work, …depending on how long you could get a rental agreement for

Jayzan

Jayzan

Chick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I have in laws that would like to get involved can you get away with 2 mobile homes?

Greenbeast

Greenbeast

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

probably only if your business can support several workers :)

Groundhog

Groundhog

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

I have in laws that would like to get involved can you get away with 2 mobile homes?

:stop:

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Did you say inlaws…  :hunter:  :triniti: Gawd..that put a shiver down my spine…. mind you…the pig arc would come in handy  :nyam:

Jayzan

Jayzan

Chick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
It's all good their in laws not outlaws lol

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

fair play Jayzan,  :) I better not wright what i feel about my stuck up pair of bastards of in laws…it would just be wrong  :nyam: