Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Barn design

Barn Design Materials wetroom

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Tom Bombadil

Tom Bombadil

Calf

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
Hi all.Does anyone here recommend or otherwise point me in the direction of a good barn design?

I am interested first and foremost, in practical, but cool is good too!

Are there regulations that I should consider?

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the deep south west

How much do you want to spend, wood, metal, and how big do you need the barn

Tom Bombadil

Tom Bombadil

Calf

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
in general, I need it to be large enough to serve as an 'everything I need' until my kids might one day want to turn it into a dwelling.

I understand that I can't use it for animals, but it needs to be able to serve as an animals workshop at times shearing and clipping or vet room etc But not knowing what is 'allowed' or practical is a pain at this stage.

I think I want the following. Large enough for a large tractor and animal trailer and a flatbed trailer (in case I have to sell-up).
Workshop. Loft storage. Wet room/vet room.

I want goats but I think I will have a separate shed and keep the barn as a large garage come storage, place.

I don't know what is good for me to at the moment.

boiow

boiow

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

you can build one of these under pd.   http://www.vermontti...equipment-barn/

my one went through easily.

Groundhog

Groundhog

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

That is a proper barn,that is a barn that would make you smile everytime you saw it.which one did you build

boiow

boiow

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

That is a proper barn,that is a barn that would make you smile everytime you saw it.which one did you build

I am building the texas/hermes  barn.   I had to buy a tractor powered sawmill to cut the timber. And all the trees are locally sourced.  It takes a long time to build.  But that is fine.   I am only at the begining of that barn,  because it took me a couple of years to rebuild the old barn, that was structurally damaged in the hurricane 2 years ago.  But time is no problem,  Will easily finish it in about 4 years time assuming no more 105 mph winds.

Tom Bombadil

Tom Bombadil

Calf

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
That looks cool. I too wish for mine to be something to be proud of in a few years time. You have my design juices flowing now I can see potential.

Does anyone else know of the pitfalls I might face when undertaking such a design?

Has it been plain sailing for yourselves boiow?

boiow

boiow

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

because i have spent so much time on the forum, I made sure that my PD was impeccable.   All the Planning officer was worried about was how was i to get so many clay peg tiles for the roof  ( 16,000 )   .  So i asked him what type of roof they had on the council building and when the next bank holiday was.   He laughed.

Make sure that you keep the PD simple and don't tell them it is a posh barn.  Just do a drawing of one that is  diagrammatically correct but a bit boring looking, whatever barn design you chose.  Or they might think  that you have other ideas in mind.

It has been plain sailing for the last 3 1/2 years..  But that is because noone knows what is actually happening at our place, other than we have loads of animals and it looks agricultural and busy. 

We attracted attention to ourselves at the beginning because we were not discrete enough.  But now we are in no hurry and are not frightening anyone anymore..

How many caulkheads  ( isle of wight person)   does it take to change a lightbulb. ?    CHANGE!!!.  who said anything about change.

Groundhog

Groundhog

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

because i have spent so much time on the forum, I made sure that my PD was impeccable.   All the Planning officer was worried about was how was i to get so many clay peg tiles for the roof  ( 16,000 )   .  So i asked him what type of roof they had on the council building and when the next bank holiday was.   He laughed.

Make sure that you keep the PD simple and don't tell them it is a posh barn.  Just do a drawing of one that is  diagrammatically correct but a bit boring looking, whatever barn design you chose.  Or they might think  that you have other ideas in mind.

It has been plain sailing for the last 3 1/2 years..  But that is because noone knows what is actually happening at our place, other than we have loads of animals and it looks agricultural and busy. 

We attracted attention to ourselves at the beginning because we were not discrete enough.  But now we are in no hurry and are not frightening anyone anymore..

How many caulkheads  ( isle of wight person)   does it take to change a lightbulb. ?    CHANGE!!!.  who said anything about change.

Wise words

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

i have gone for the simple practical type, small enough to get started, and room for expansion , but my land shape does govern what i can do , not that this is a problem for me , 

the farm and the business side is more important at this stage, 

Tom Bombadil

Tom Bombadil

Calf

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

because i have spent so much time on the forum, I made sure that my PD was impeccable.   All the ....

Thanks for that boiow, I have still to read my pants off from all the posts here on these pages now that it is more relivant to me.  I think that most of my answers are already typed on the site somewhere, I just have to find them!

I know its gonna be intresting reading for me. :gamer:

Tom Bombadil

Tom Bombadil

Calf

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

i have gone for the simple practical type, small enough to get started, and room for expansion , but my land shape does govern what i can do , not that this is a problem for me , 

the farm and the business side is more important at this stage, 

I am thinking that anyway (farm and business before the house) but I just wondered if folk had come across pics or sites that they can post up here.  I mean its ok looking and wishing, but what is it that makes a good barn for the likes of us F2Farmers?

Should I not bother to put too much cash into it?  Or not bother with keeping it traditional to the area? etc.  I am seeing lots of nice looking ones and practical but draughty ones.

I am all questions i know but i dont want to muck up at the first :scenic:

Also j and H I forgot to answer this one you asked ''How much do you want to spend, wood, metal, and how big do you need the barn'' properly.

As little as possible.  Wood where it works or is practical, but never metal unless its an RSJ jobby for structure or a pully-thing.  As big as poss but up to a limit of practical too.

nelly.

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

I have gone smallish and simple, hoping to be able to add another in a few years time, depending on how things go, this will cost me in the region of 9.5k

barn%20design%201_zps6a3tdteo.jpg

Tom Bombadil

Tom Bombadil

Calf

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

There!  You see!  I would not have thought of the open end portion of that barn :wild:  Thank you.  Nice design (I know that because I like it for some reason :dancer:  )

I take it that your prices included the foundations too?  And that it is of a metal frame and roof and walls?  Is wood that much more expensive?

May I ask you, have you designed the interier as well at this stage of the pricing?  Also, where did you get that program that you use?

Thanks again, nelly.

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

this is what i am saying..everyone needs to slow down and think what they need…no..the foundations are extra…there will always be cheaper options…you need to find the one for you

the interior is just open space..thats all it will ever be..its a barn for the farm, the barn needs to be there for many years after the PD is granted,,15 years i think

Tom Bombadil

Tom Bombadil

Calf

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
Thanks.

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

my reply looked a bit harsh, it wasn't written in that tone,

i do share your excitement… we will all have different outlooks to what size barn…think about what you need for your business, as i said above, the barn will need to stand at least 15 years after its built under PD… the rules for full planning are different...

for me, the F2F route in a nutshell is about bringing real small farms back into the countryside, 

Tom Bombadil

Tom Bombadil

Calf

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
I didn't see it as harsh so dont worry. I have used different forums in my time and I am well aware of the written word sounding different to its true intention. Anyway I am thick skinned. And I reserve the right to have my spell chucker make me look a fool at any point.

I need to know and have a lot to learn and if I am about to make a rash choice then you have my permission to slap me down.

Your last line is what we are about too. I just dont yet know howwwwww.

nelly.

ps. Looking at my reply to your own also looked rough. But look at the time it was posted. .. and I was LATE!!!!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Barn, Design, Materials, wetroom