Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Income

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Croftgary

Croftgary

Chick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I appreciate to that to meet the conditions to build a house you need to prove that you can earn the min wage for 1 yr out of 3, but what if you are already in employment. What effect can this have?

Guest_Dave_*

Guest_Dave_*
  • Guests
Hi The wages that you make cannot be used towards the financial test of earning the minimum, the planning permission is granted because the smallholding is a viable unit that requires a house. If peoples wages could be added into the sum some city high fliers would buy a field put a few chickens on it a build a mansion on the land. Always remember the house is there for the benefit of the holding.

Croftgary

Croftgary

Chick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I was thinking more along the lines , that you do not need another income via a holding, so basically no need for you to set the whole thing up to make a living.

Thanks

Croftgary

Croftgary

Chick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks, what I was trying to say was, if you already had a main or even 2 main incomes wiould they entertain you trying to start up a business that is less than your present salary.

Guest_rarara_*

Guest_rarara_*
  • Guests
Hi, I think that the planners would only be interested in what the income from the smallholding was.  You could have a married couple where the husband worked full time on the farm and the wife, the main earner. helped at weekends.  The fact that her salary was greater than the income from the farm should have no significance.  But then what do I know.

surreydodger

surreydodger

Agricultural Planning Advisory Service

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts
  • LocationWest Sussex
You're right Rarara. The financial test is based purely on the smallholding in question and does not consider any other aspect of the applicants other incomes or financial means.

This may be advantageous in some circumstances though I would err on the side of caution as to its legality. If you had a second company that was a buyer of the produce from your smallholding, there is no legal restriction on what they may pay for those goods. Hence, you could have your smallholding making a viable profit that meets the financial test conditions.

It wouldn't be as simple as that but it's not an uncommon trick in the 'city' to use a company that runs at a loss whilst making another company look profitable.

Mountain View

Mountain View

Piglet

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
Would it also work if, say for instance, both owners worked but they paid for someone else to do the work - in effect managed the property whilst they were at work?

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
Maybe if you can find a planner thats so stupid they can`t see what you are trying to do , smallholding = lifestyle,paying someone to do all the work whilst you sit back and watch = lazy  ;D

Mountain View

Mountain View

Piglet

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
Firstly not all the work is done in the daytime - Even though you go out to work it doesn't mean you weren't up at 4 am seeing to some of the animals and you would then also be doing the evening shift too!  Farming is not a 9 - 5 job by any means.

I understand what you are saying but at the end of the day it doesn't matter if they are stupid it would be down to the Planning Law surely! 

Whilst you are starting up the money is going to be very slow coming in so if you are able to earn more than what you are paying the farm hand surely the need would still be there as you need someone there all day when you are at work and you would then be working when you came home in the evening whilst living there to ensure the health and well being of your livestock. ???

The need would be there but someone else would be there whilst you bring in more money whilst starting out.  The logic is there its just whether it is acceptable for this procedure to enable you to live on the land.

Guest_Dave_*

Guest_Dave_*
  • Guests
Hi The two planning laws that are used are separate and can be used independantly of each other. Full details of these can be found in the book. To comply with the planning tests to get planning permission for a permanent dwelling is a separate thing altogether,

If you want to create a smallholding to work towards passing the tests you could have a full time job then you can build the business up slowly as it grows you could go part time leading on to working on the smallholding fulltime.

Mountain View

Mountain View

Piglet

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
That sounds a good plan Dave, thanks.