Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What happens if the land is classified as equestrian?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Eve

Eve

Goose

• Book Owners
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
After 3 years of searching I have found what I thought to be the perfect piece of land... 17.5 acres, lots of road frontage, in a community I already know, peaceful, no direct neighbours, no uplifts, etc...
It is being sold as a separate parcel of land split from the sale of a house which was built in the 1980's and until a few months ago had an ag tie, it was run as a stud.
There is water connection and a field shelter in one of the fields. It has, in the ten years I've been in the area, only been used for grazing horses (some of which are rugged).
I have paid a deposit, in the process of remortgaging the house and instructed a solicitor...
Then it occurred to me it might be equestrian rather than ag land... Is this going to crush my dreams?! (I have asked the vendor to clarify, but have totally fallen in love and already have a lot of money invested!)
Xx

Wiseowl

Wiseowl

Suspected Planner

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Hi Eve

You don't quite explain what your dreams for the land  involve.  But if you wish to use it for agriculture, that is not a problem - the use of land for agriculture is not development, and in that respect  the recent use of the land is irrelevant. 

Obviously putting  up buildings, and/or  a change of use of part to residential, for example, would involve development and you would need further advice about those aspects. 

Eve

Eve

Goose

• Book Owners
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Thank you for your prompt reply...
Ah yes, explaining my dream might have been helpful!
I eventually want to have a farm and earn a living off the land, so that my husband can retire from his current career... And using the f2f method would like to live on site, eventually....
Xx

bramblebasher

bramblebasher

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 509 posts

Interesting point raised there, is a stud agricultural (don't think so,) and if not how can a stud farm have an ag tied dwelling? 

I thought horsiculture included stud businesses but perhaps this is technically farming as it's producing animals as, well, basically, a crop?

Sounds like a good dream Eve, hopefully the land will be productive having horses on it for a while :)

Wiseowl

Wiseowl

Suspected Planner

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Some ties allow equestrian use.

Eve

Eve

Goose

• Book Owners
  • PipPip