Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Western power distribution.... Anybody had dealings?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Sunnysouthdevon

Sunnysouthdevon

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
I'm trying to get a price from western power about a rough price for a supply...... Anybody else on here had a connection or estimate from them ?

Ronnie the pommy

Ronnie the pommy

Calf

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Yes about 6 years ago we got a quote for about 20k, we decided to opt for batteries, generator and invertor. When we return to our farm in a couple of months we will also add solar panels to our barn roof, it still works out cheaper for us.

Sunnysouthdevon

Sunnysouthdevon

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Was that an overhead or supply that is burried

Mr Mac

Mr Mac

Duckling

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
Hi Benackrell

Have a look at my previous posts we did it, from memory it was around £600.00 & very straight forward.

Mr Mac

adrian007

adrian007

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Sunnysouthdevon

Sunnysouthdevon

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Mr mac I can't find anything , could you point me in the right direction ?

Sunnysouthdevon

Sunnysouthdevon

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
I'm just trying to find out how much per metre they charge for an overhead supply and a buried supply, they told me it was on there site but it bloody aint

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
Pm sent try speaking to Mike Green Plymouth

Sunnysouthdevon

Sunnysouthdevon

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Thankyou shepie

elegantstorm

elegantstorm

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

We paid about £1k for a three phase supply.  Trenched in a duct ourselves from pole to meter hut and they supplied the cable, pulled it through the duct, excavated by hand the last metre or so from the end of the duct to the pole (they didn't want us digging too near to their pole) and made the connection.

Sunnysouthdevon

Sunnysouthdevon

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Did your quite give you a price per metre?

elegantstorm

elegantstorm

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

No the price is specific to the job not per metre, it's based on a team coming to site, making connections at either end, and whatever other work is involved.

Sunnysouthdevon

Sunnysouthdevon

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Ah right so no way of getting a price before I buy the land then, I was going to get a rough costing as if it was too much I would of looked at land elsewere

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
You can get them out to give you a quote without owning the land FREE

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the deep south west

the price is like a lottery, when we nearly bought the land in wales, it they came out to quote a 100 mt run, , i would have had to dig a trench for the last 20mts , and they quoted 2k  yet i know people quoted 5x that price for a shorter distance...

teign view

teign view

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

I found the staff at WPD office in Watcombe Torquay very helpful. I wrote to them asking for a quote for a 3phase connection, I was astounded to get a quote approaching £18k inc VAT. I telephoned them and made an appointment to talk to the team who costed the quote, after chatting to them and explaining there was no way I could afford £18k, they suggested costs could be reduced. The end result was a quote for approx. £10k and a successful connection a few weeks later. The work entailed the supply crossing a main A road and approximately 70 metres of verge and pavement being dug up and resurfaced. I arranged for the trench on our land. They supplied the total cable run of approximately 130m. Chat to them and I am sure you will find them helpful. Good luck with your project.